BABY RUNT AT THE VETS

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Just thought everyone would like to know how Baby Runt has faired since her ordeal on Halloween when she broke through her perimeter wall and escaped. I found her about 16 hours later. Some nice lady found her and was trying to get her to a rescue place. Unfortunately, she didn't know what kind of tortoise she had and Baby Runt spent the night outside under her shed. Temps got to be as low as 59 degrees! Since then, she had been only nipping at some greens, hardly defecating, and not very active. I fear she had a blockage and is showing signs that she had two years ago when she became critical. I pray this is still just a shock to her system and that she'll be fine over time. Here's a pic of her as she waits for treatment.WP_20161116_15_43_12_Pro.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Poor baby. I'm so sorry. I thought everything would be okay after you found her. I hope that you can find the problem and that it will be easily fixed. Praying for Baby Runt. She's a fighter.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, the thing with Baby Runt is that she's on a very delicate balance. The slightest change in food, climate, environment can throw her system off. She already has a propensity to get constipated which is why she has to take medicine daily. To put it another way, her intestines is like multiple bottle necks. If fecal matter accumulates in one of those bottlenecks, she'll have a very hard time passing it through. Unfortunately, this will be a lifetime problem for her. I just hope she doesn't need surgery. :(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Very sorry to hear this, Sylvia.:(
Sending big, heartfelt cyber-hugs to you and Baby Runt.
Hopefully, she'll get over this and it was just the shock.
I'm very fond of Baby Runt.:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Very sorry to hear this, Sylvia.:(
Sending big, heartfelt cyber-hugs to you and Baby Runt.
Hopefully, she'll get over this and it was just the shock.
I'm very fond of Baby Runt.:)
Thank you so much. I think there are a few members that also have grown affectionate towards her. Her story is a sad one for this who have followed her. Being Miss October is really special:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you so much. I think there are a few members that also have grown affectionate towards her. Her story is a sad one for this who have followed her. Being Miss October is really special:)
Next to my Tidgy, who was also a rescue and perilously close to death.
She's miss September.
Special, indeed.:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just thought everyone would like to know how Baby Runt has faired since her ordeal on Halloween when she broke through her perimeter wall and escaped. I found her about 16 hours later. Some nice lady found her and was trying to get her to a rescue place. Unfortunately, she didn't know what kind of tortoise she had and Baby Runt spent the night outside under her shed. Temps got to be as low as 59 degrees! Since then, she had been only nipping at some greens, hardly defecating, and not very active. I fear she had a blockage and is showing signs that she had two years ago when she became critical. I pray this is still just a shock to her system and that she'll be fine over time. Here's a pic of her as she waits for treatment.View attachment 192423
I love this picture! Looks some ancient dragon with all those spiky scales all around her face. Sending healing/wishes thoughts along with this post. I've seen your posts before and know you are experienced, so don't think I have anything to add advice wise, just wanted to say: hang in there, keep those intestines hydrated/lubricated (soaking, aloe vera, etc) and good luck to both of you. Electronic hugs your way❤️

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Never imagine her ordeal will do so much harm for her. i'm very sorry to hear that.
Keep us updated will you?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, she had x-rays and it shows she is compacted in two areas that we can see. In other words, she's so full of it. They gave her a liter of fluids and electrolytes. I gave her a day to calm down from the ordeal of her vet visit. Today she nibbled on some endive leaves and she pooped a tiny bit. It was real thick and somewhat sticky. If that's what's in her intestines, her intestines will have to be lubricated and/or hydrated in order to get that passed through!. I give her warm soapy enemas every other day along with daily soaks. I pray this will work or else it's another emergency trip to University of Florida Vet Hosp. Gainesville again.:(

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh, goodness! :(
Poor Baby Runt and poor you.
Also hoping that she can squeeze the rest of it out.
At least it was a start.
Still got everything crossed for you both.:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Darn! Poorbaby!!!! I'm not sure what could be used for reptile byt
Sorry, got interrupted. Anyway was wondering about maybe trying an osmotic laxative??? Like we do in humans, i e Miralax... unless they are not 100% certain about that impaction. If the impaction turned out to be an obstruction (which doesn't sound like) then I would go there

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry, got interrupted. Anyway was wondering about maybe trying an osmotic laxative??? Like we do in humans, i e Miralax... unless they are not 100% certain about that impaction. If the impaction turned out to be an obstruction (which doesn't sound like) then I would go there
There is a medication that they used to force the intestinal walls to contract and try to expell the fecal matter. The fear my vet has is that it may rupture the walls and that's a certain death. I have used it anyway cause it's not a hard blockage. It has worked but only when she had a feeding tube so that she would be well hydrated. She spent two weeks in the hospital and it was only after the third week that she passed the mother load. It's been two years since then, and it looks like it may have to be done again. The only thing is that she's not that lethargic or critical that she'd need a feeding tube. She'll only tear it out like she has done before, sick and all! If she still ate like before, I could give her the medication by mouth and every five days, I'd get electrolytes and fluids injected into her. That might work, only these injections are so stressful for her. I hate to see her suffer like this.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry. I'm still praying for both you and Baby Runt. I hope she's able to pass the "motherload" before you even have to do anything more about it. Terribly sorry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Keeping you and Baby Runt in my thoughts and hopes.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well, it's been a few days, and Baby Runt is not getting any better. I'm fearful for her. I know she's constipated real bad.
And, even though I'm giving her medication, she's not defecating like she should. It's just a matter of time when I have to get a feeding tube in her. I know she's suffering! I know that she knows she's sick. I even see in her eyes her giving up at times. I spend hours with her, stroking her carapace, stroking her neck, talking to her...even crying over her situation. I pray to God that she get better cause she deserves to live! She had fought to survive when I got her 4 years ago. I know I've helped keeping her alive, but am I doing the right thing keeping her alive? She'll go through this over and over for the rest of her life cause she was so jacked when the got her. I'm so tore up I'm actually depressed! What more can I do for her?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, it's been a few days, and Baby Runt is not getting any better. I'm fearful for her. I know she's constipated real bad.
And, even though I'm giving her medication, she's not defecating like she should. It's just a matter of time when I have to get a feeding tube in her. I know she's suffering! I know that she knows she's sick. I even see in her eyes her giving up at times. I spend hours with her, stroking her carapace, stroking her neck, talking to her...even crying over her situation. I pray to God that she get better cause she deserves to live! She had fought to survive when I got her 4 years ago. I know I've helped keeping her alive, but am I doing the right thing keeping her alive? She'll go through this over and over for the rest of her life cause she was so jacked when the got her. I'm so tore up I'm actually depressed! What more can I do for her?
I don't know that there is anything more that you can do. More electronic hugs heading your way.

I am concerned that you say Baby Runt is suffering. What prognosis does the vet give? This isn't an easy thing to say, as I want Baby Runt to be well so badly, but if the outlook is bleak then sometimes it's better for an animal to be PTS than to have it live in pain with little prospect of recovery. :(