BABY RUNT AT THE VETS

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
You are doing everything you can, nobody could suggest otherwise.
I can only imagine how awful you must be feeling and how difficult this is for you and for poor Baby Runt.
What I would do, for what it's worth, is keep going until it is obvious that Baby Runts quality of life is such it is cruel to let it continue and that there is no real chance of recovery. Life is precious and if Baby Runt recovers and has another couple of good years before the next problem then that would be worth it for me. I couldn't live with myself letting her go if there is still any reasonable chance of a recovery.
My best wishes and hopes are with you both at this time.
Either way will be a heartbreaking and courageous decision but I know you will do what's best for you both.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You are doing everything you can, nobody could suggest otherwise.
I can only imagine how awful you must be feeling and how difficult this is for you and for poor Baby Runt.
What I would do, for what it's worth, is keep going until it is obvious that Baby Runts quality of life is such it is cruel to let it continue and that there is no real chance of recovery. Life is precious and if Baby Runt recovers and has another couple of good years before the next problem then that would be worth it for me. I couldn't live with myself letting her go if there is still any reasonable chance of a recovery.
My best wishes and hopes are with you both at this time.
Either way will be a heartbreaking and courageous decision but I know you will do what's best for you both.

Thank you, Tidgy. I have always done what was best for my animals. I will continue to have Baby Runt treated, regardless. I just feel for her. She's not living like every tort ought to. She knows it too. I will continue to give enemas and daily soaks. When she gets too weak from not eating well, then I'll make another visit to the Univ. Of Florida Vet Hosp. Perhaps, they'll be able to help her like before. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sylvia:

Have you tried mineral oil? You can moisten some pellets (Mazuri?) then mash it up and add some mineral oil and mix it all together. Then lay a large lettuce leaf out flat and paint the mush on the leaf. Roll it up like a soft taco. Hand feed it to Baby Runt. The mineral oil is non absorptive and coats whatever fecal matter is in there.

Another trick is the human's bath tub. Add some warm water that comes up to the bridge (where the top shell meets the bottom shell) and leave Baby Runt in the tub for a lo-o-o-o-ong time. Scrambling around, trying to get out, almost always has the poop effect. Just remember, if your house is 78F degrees, the water in the tub isn't going to get any colder than 78F degrees. So don't worry if it feels too cold to your 98.6F degree hand.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Sylvia:

Have you tried mineral oil? You can moisten some pellets (Mazuri?) then mash it up and add some mineral oil and mix it all together. Then lay a large lettuce leaf out flat and paint the mush on the leaf. Roll it up like a soft taco. Hand feed it to Baby Runt. The mineral oil is non absorptive and coats whatever fecal matter is in there.

Another trick is the human's bath tub. Add some warm water that comes up to the bridge (where the top shell meets the bottom shell) and leave Baby Runt in the tub for a lo-o-o-o-ong time. Scrambling around, trying to get out, almost always has the poop effect. Just remember, if your house is 78F degrees, the water in the tub isn't going to get any colder than 78F degrees. So don't worry if it feels too cold to your 98.6F degree hand.
Yes, I've tried mineral oil in her food, but I've also used lactulose daily. That's part of her daily diet. She has stopped eating now except for watermelon. So I have used the medicine that induces contractions in her intestinal tract and coat it with that medicine. She had pooped a small amount the day after. It's suppose to be given every 48 hours. So, the day she doesn't get it, there's nothing. I put her in a warm tub that she can't get out of but tries to. I was hoping that the strain of trying to get out would help, but, nothing. When she does poop, the feces is so thick, it's like soft taffy. I'm gonna continue to give her that medicine every other day until she stops eating altogether. If she continues to poop, even small amounts, that's a good sign. What I'm also doing is giving her an enema once every week. Sometimes I use part warm water and mineral oil, and other times I just use warm, soapy water. She really doesn't like that, but it's necessary. Poor baby. Her life is so painful. If I could, I'd suffer it for her so she doesn't have to. :(

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry Baby Runt is going through such a tough time! Sending good vibes!!!