BABY RUNT-THE EFFECTS OF MBD

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
It's been some time since I've posted pictures of Baby Runt, the sulcata who was rescued from certain death.
When I received Baby Runt, she was a 3 year old sulcata weighing only 4 ounces! She had metabolic bone disease (MBD). I had a difficult time trying to correct the disease with everything she never had in her first three years of life. She has a crooked spine and a gular that cured upwards which doesn't allow her to stretch her neck out to graze. She has to be handfed for the rest of her life. If your interested in her story, please go the her thread, UPDATE ON BABY RUNT. So, here are some of her recent, cute pictures.WP_20160223_15_44_15_Pro.jpg WP_20160223_15_07_40_Pro.jpg WP_20160223_15_08_27_Pro.jpg WP_20160131_17_05_24_Pro.jpg WP_20160131_16_44_44_Pro.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Such a cutie. However, if you made piles of food and put it on a raised platform, wouldn't she be able to eat on her own?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Such a cutie. However, if you made piles of food and put it on a raised platform, wouldn't she be able to eat on her own?

No. I've tried that. She raises herself high as sullies would, and hinders any attempts to feed herself. I would try to lower her legs, but she'll only tuck her head in and give up. Her gular gets in the way of reaching for food even if it's elevated. Poor baby! The last photo was encouraging cause the hibiscus bush is the only thing low enough to try and grab some of its leaves. But, she can't live on that alone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn, that's too bad. Have you tried placing her food in a hole? Same idea as trying to lift her legs, but you wouldn't be actually doing it and so she wouldn't feel the need to pull head in.
I'm sure you have tried everything, just throwing some ideas out incase. Just seems like there should be a way.
Thankfully though she has someone that will take the time to hand feed.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
As a matter of fact, I've been analyzing a heavy duty plastic container that has a lip which slants the box when put on its aide. It slopes down a bit. Now, if I cut out a circular hole, I can stick romaine, a bunch of grass, and weeds through the hole. Just like in the last pic where she's munching on hibiscus leaves, I can put a bunch of anything through the hole. I should have it completed today or tomorrow. If it works, I'll be thrilled. Of course, I have to anchor the box down so she doesn't move it. She's over 40 lbs now! The next invention is how I can get her to drink water on her own. If anyone has ideas, I'd like to analyze it :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep us updated with pics on the plastic container. Fingers crossed it will work. Could the same idea be used for water, if it works for food? Otherwise I can only think of a large enough walk in pond, deep enough to submerge enough to be able to drink.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
For drinking, I'd think a walk in pond too..

I wonder if you hung leaves, could she reach up to eat? I think it was James (kameya) who made a pvc frame with a clip on it. He'd hang the greens from the elevated pipe and they'd munch upwards.

4oz. to 40lbs is impressive. It's an amazing turn around story.

The pictures don't look as bad as I would imagine from what you describe. But that's a good thing.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
For drinking, I'd think a walk in pond too..

I wonder if you hung leaves, could she reach up to eat? I think it was James (kameya) who made a pvc frame with a clip on it. He'd hang the greens from the elevated pipe and they'd munch upwards.

4oz. to 40lbs is impressive. It's an amazing turn around story.

The pictures don't look as bad as I would imagine from what you describe. But that's a good thing.
Oh, believe me, it is worse than the pics. It's just that she's really healthy now and her carapace is pretty. There is a deep crevice from the top scute to the middle , which is her high point. Then, it's crooked all the way to the anal scute. Her back bone is debilitating. The heavier she gets the less she's able to support her body. Her back legs drag at times. Then, we have her neck. It's so short that even if her gular wasn't curved upwards, I don't think she has enough length to graze from the ground.
I do like the pvc pipes with food hanging from above. Is there any pics of it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put that "at" (@) symbol then with no space start typing in the forum name. As you get more letters a list will pop up and you can click on the name your looking for or you can just spell it out your self.
@sibi

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I checked it out, and I think it may work. I might make some modifications, but it just may work. When I cut her grass, I can get a bunch of it, tie it tight at one end of it, and place that end in a clip. Now, if only I can get something that will hold enough water w/o spilling where she can stick her head in and drink. The angle is tricky. It would have to be at an angle of about 45 degrees, I think. I'll have to study her position as she attempts to reach for food. Poor baby, I watch her for hours as she strains to reach the overgrown grass alongside the perimeter of the cement blocks. She eventually gives up. I cry so many times when I see her struggling and then the resignation afterwards. ;(

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I watch her for hours as she strains to reach the overgrown grass alongside the perimeter of the cement blocks. She eventually gives up.

I cry so many times when I see her struggling and then the resignation afterwards. ;(

That is so sad! I'd cry too...

Mary <3

Even with all of her troubles, she is very lucky to have you @sibi. She is beautiful in all of her afflictions. I hope you figure out a good water solution for both of you.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I finally got a company to clean up my property and trim bushes, tree limbs, and leaves. They also mentioned the walk in pond. They said they can make it for us. I'd like to get that done before it gets too hot here in Florida. This may really solve my problems for drinking and absorbing water for my Baby Runt, as well as the other boys. I'll start posting pics when they start construction. Meanwhile, here's another pic of my girl. Isn't she beautiful?WP_20160223_15_07_15_Pro.jpg

Rue

Canada
I was also wondering if the vets could trim down the shell a bit to make it easier for her...even if they have to do it slowly in stages, might help her in the long run...