BABY RUNT-THE EFFECTS OF MBD

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
I finally got a company to clean up my property and trim bushes, tree limbs, and leaves. They also mentioned the walk in pond. They said they can make it for us. I'd like to get that done before it gets too hot here in Florida. This may really solve my problems for drinking and absorbing water for my Baby Runt, as well as the other boys. I'll start posting pics when they start construction. Meanwhile, here's another pic of my girl. Isn't she beautiful?View attachment 167222

True beauty but were is that baby You mention .... :confused:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I was also wondering if the vets could trim down the shell a bit to make it easier for her...even if they have to do it slowly in stages, might help her in the long run...
A skilled vet may be able to trim the gular a bit, but the amount of trimming that would be needed would be too drastic. It wouldn't do what I'd wish it would do because her neck is too short to go down far enough for grazing. In addition, the risk of infection and traumatic effects it will have on her, especially if it were to be done in several stages, are just too much. I probably wouldn't survive it, never mind her.

Reactions: Rue

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
True beauty but were is that baby You mention .... :confused:
Yeah, she doesn't look much like a baby now, huh? But, her name stuck with her three years ago when she was 4 ounces at the age of 3 years ago!

Rue

Canada
A skilled vet may be able to trim the gular a bit, but the amount of trimming that would be needed would be too drastic. It wouldn't do what I'd wish it would do because her neck is too short to go down far enough for grazing. In addition, the risk of infection and traumatic effects it will have on her, especially if it were to be done in several stages, are just too much. I probably wouldn't survive it, never mind her.

Fair enough! I just thought if she lives a 100 years (or even 60) it might be worth trying. But she's obviously doing okay - even with her issues.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Fair enough! I just thought if she lives a 100 years (or even 60) it might be worth trying. But she's obviously doing okay - even with her issues.
I'm glad she's doing so well! She's very lucky to have you! :)

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
I finally got a company to clean up my property and trim bushes, tree limbs, and leaves. They also mentioned the walk in pond. They said they can make it for us. I'd like to get that done before it gets too hot here in Florida. This may really solve my problems for drinking and absorbing water for my Baby Runt, as well as the other boys. I'll start posting pics when they start construction. Meanwhile, here's another pic of my girl. Isn't she beautiful?View attachment 167222

I always love finding out on TFO how @sibi is spending our money on tortoise related projects. Well, at least I won't have to dig the hole. :p