baby russian growth lines

Stormy Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Recently my baby tortoise (about 10 months old) has been having a growth spurt. His growth lines had really gotten bigger in the past month or so. I've had him since October, and this is the first time I'm really noticing his growth lines.

I'm wondering if this is natural at his stage of life or if I may be feeding too much? I give him a handful of salad greens and sprinkle a dried herbal mix on it every morning. He tends to eat it all within 30 minutes. I also leave a plate of dried food for him to much on throughout the day. Every 2-3 days he gets a calcium sprinkle and/or a sprinkle of TNT powder as well.

Since I got him in October I have soaked his nearly everyday to prevent pyramiding. I guess I am worried that his recently bigger growth lines may affect his shell growth and cause uplift? or is it natural to have growth spurts and it should continue to growth flat?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
A closer pic might help, but I suspect it's nothing to worry about. Max here is about 10 months and has been growing like crazy as of late. I worried he was growing too fast too, but he really blossomed when he went into his new enclosure, and I think they grow well or better with proper husbandry. It doesn't sound as though you are over feeding. I also found that Max's new flat growth made the older parts of his shell look pyramided in contrast. Which may mean pyramiding was occurring a long time ago, but not now.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
If you look up a post called "active vs. old pyramiding", I had similar questions to you and got some helpful responses that may apply for you as well.

Stormy Rose

Pennsylvania
Here are some pictures I just took. Also, if you look at the 3rd picture, he has some extra keratin growth on the "bottom" of a few of his scutes. Is that from feeding too much?2015-02-23 12.10.43.jpg 2015-02-23 12.11.20.jpg 2015-02-23 12.11.52.jpg

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I've read that the keratin is normal and actually a sign of healthy new growth. I'm not a pro, but I think he looks great!