Baby Russian hatched

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
That's a really good price considering how hard is to breed them and produce fertile eggs .

Why is it so hard to breed these guys?

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
I heard that most of the time the eggs are not fertile and they not lay that many so I guess that's why it's kind of hard , So I really would like to learn more about how to breed them and how to do it right

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Linz2491 said:
Why is it so hard to breed these guys?

Its not that its hard, its that its just hit or miss for some people. Some people just put a male and some females together and soon have hatchlings. Other people do everything "right" and get no babies year after year. There are many factors but there does not seem to be a clear cut reason why some fail and others succeed. Also, they only lay two or three small clutches per year. Sometimes only one egg at a time. So even if things are going well, a person can only expect to get a few babies per female per year.

justino4444

5 Year Member
So cute - can I have it pleeeaaaase [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
A lot of speculation on why its hit or miss. Some say that the sub species comes into play. If different sub species the chances of fertile eggs are slim. I have different sub species of males vs females. The other egg is getting really grey, which means the turtle is really filling out all open space. Should hatch this week. I'll post more pictures if it does. The other little guy is an eating machine. Spend most of the day walking in and out of its water dish.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385910427.341421.jpg

You can see the grey patch on the egg. The shell is getting very thin, should break out tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very exciting stuff! Thank you for sharing this with us!

Can you tell us your incubation parameters? Temps and what you did for humidity and moisture?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I use a digital incubator with hatch rite substrate. I've tried it all, and have had the best of luck with other species with hatch rite. Incubated at 87 degrees. I kept humidity around 70. I noticed that when humidity was high the eggs cracked or were too flaccid for the turtle to break and they would die in the egg. When I finally gave up on the incubation and opened the eggs up, they were essentially fully developed. So I tried lowering humidity. Seemed to work this time.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
The second egg was a dud. I guess it died at some point. I cracked it open this morning. 1 hatchling is better then none. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386424924.435060.jpg the hatchling is doing awesome. Eating like a champ. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386424956.250694.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386424966.904133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What made you decide to crack it open? Did it smell? Looks like it was near term.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I thought the shell was getting thin at a certain area from it trying to poke out. But the grey portion started to cover the entire side of the shell. And then it cracked a little, but no head poked out. Then it started to stink. So I assumed it was dead. Bummer.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Sorry bout the second hatchling.. What are you going to do with the other? Are you going to eventually ad him to the breeding group?