Baby Russian Sleeping Too Much?

ambbeeee

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone! My Russian (6 mo old) tortoise seems to be sleeping so much in the past few days. He will sleep in his humid hide all day and night, he may come out and eat if I pick him up and place him in front of his food. Sometimes he just turns around and heads back to his hide. He also has been sleeping during his daily soaks. I’m not sure if this is normal or not. He was very active when I first got him a little over a week ago however he may have been just getting used to his enclosure. Maybe he’s just relaxing now?

The temperatures are all within range (basking, warm side, cool side), humidity is good as well. He does have UVB as well.

Also - other than this there is no signs of distress, disease, etc. as I do keep a close eye on him.

Thanks!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you include photos of your enclosure. Could be something as simple as not enough cover so to stay safe the young ones hide so always back into humid hide.

ambbeeee

Michigan
Can you include photos of your enclosure. Could be something as simple as not enough cover so to stay safe the young ones hide so always back into humid hide.

For some reason it’s having trouble uploading my pictures. I will have to see if I can do it on a computer. He does have another half log hide with some hay in it for cover as well.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
WHat are the types of lights and heat sources you use? The hay is not good because it will mold. Otherwise the sleep all day and eat when I make made him was how my russian was a baby. The instinct to stay safe is very strong. Good luck uploading photos when we had the app it would sometimes lock the photo- but even the poster couldn't see it....HMMM

nicoble

5 Year Member
my baby hides a lot as well - my exotics vet - a fellow tortoise person ... thought there is no concern as long as the baby is not loosing weight, eats with gusto when offered ( dug out, warmed up, placed in front of food) and is alert and bright eyed while eating. Lots of babies want to brumate or at least slow down in winter. It is snowing here as I am writing this and my baby didn't come out today as usual ...on days like today I dig him out once to twice a day, offer some basking, food, soak and then he usually walks around for a bit until he disappears. I use large moss piles close to the basking lights ... my baby loves to sit there - half tucked in the moist moss just resting - when he digs he goes deep - all the way down in the 3-4 inch of the moist coconut coir. I figure that ... in the wild ... babies would hide almost 100% of the time - with so many predators out to get them and spend much of the year resting underground ...