Baby Russian Tongue Color Question

ScStange891

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi, All!

I've been looking through pictures of RTs lately, and I notice that they all seem to have "normal" pink/red colored tongues..

My young Russian of a few months (2.25 inch shell length, 51 grams) has more or a greenish/gray tongue, and always has for the 3 months that I've had it. Is this a potential health concern, or just a function of it still being tiny?

Some background facts:

Enclosure: Zoomed Tortoise House, I've been putting glass pane over the open area for a more "closed top", but sometimes it's hard to regulate temperature when the glass blocks the light. (Very open to suggestions on this)

Heat Lamp:
Zoomed 75 W over basking spot. Between the heat lamp and the UVB light, the basking spot reaches between 97-105 degrees at shell length.

UVB Light:
Zoomed T8 tube bulb

Humidity: I try to keep it between 70-80%, which is easy to do with the glass pane, but then it's a battle with temperature.

Soaking: Daily. 30-45 min in water between 90-100 Degrees. Every few days I soak him a second time as well.

Diet: Staples include escarole, spring mix, and dandelion. I rotate between collard, mustard, baby kale, and endive as the "add-in" variables to his diet (some days I have a little bit of all of the above).

Supplementation: I give him 1 pellet of Mazuri LS twice a week, one of those times it is soaked in and sprinkled with calcium powder (he won't eat anything I put calcium on unless it's the "good stuff")

Excrement: He poops daily. Passes urates a few times a week. Urates have been solid twice, but are mostly the consistency of chewed gum/drippy toothpaste.

Thanks!!

Bee62

Germany
Can you show us a pic of the tongue ?
Grey or green plaque on the tongue could be a sign of tortoise herpes.
Is the baby active and good eating ?
Was it kept together with adult tortoises?
Where do you got your baby from ? A pet shop, or reptile show ?

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
I’ll try to snap a pic of the tongue when he eats next.

The little guy is very active and very in line with his routine. He’s eating, pooping, and steadily gaining weight.

I got him “breeder direct” from tortoise supply. If anything he may have been kept with other babies.

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
Actually here’s a screenshot of a vid I have right before he pulls his tongue in. As you can see it’s very pale and not super...tongue-ish colored?

Attachments

• C730C4A9-553D-43BF-983A-813C87CE5676.jpeg
    C730C4A9-553D-43BF-983A-813C87CE5676.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42

Bee62

Germany
Actually here’s a screenshot of a vid I have right before he pulls his tongue in. As you can see it’s very pale and not super...tongue-ish colored?
It is difficult to see ( I know it is more difficult to take a pic from the tongue ). I would not be worried as lonǵ as your baby is good eating, active and gaining weight.
I would watch the "green tongue" and wait. All what counts is a active, eating and growing baby.

Bee62

Germany
You wrote that you have problems with the heat to regulate it.
You can use a heat bulb with lower wattage ( 50 W ) instead of 75 W or set your heat lamp on a automatic thermostate.

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
I'm curious as to whether the tongues are pale colored at birth and develop into a pink color... He didn't let me see his tongue at all this morning, and he just looks at me angrily if I try to watch him eat.

Bee62

Germany
I'm curious as to whether the tongues are pale colored at birth and develop into a pink color... He didn't let me see his tongue at all this morning, and he just looks at me angrily if I try to watch him eat.
:D That will be his secret I think.:D

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
I caught him mid yawn this morning! I couldn't snap a picture but I'm glad to report his tongue is mostly pink... It was probably looking a bit dull in past days from all the greens staining, as suggested.

:)