Baby Russian tortoise behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennhrt22

5 Year Member
I just got my baby rt a few days ago.. he comes out of his log hide out only when I take him out..and i was wondering if it was normal behavior for them to hide a lot
he digs and things like that its not like hes just sitting there
and when i take him out he eats and basks and things like that I was just wondering what their normal behavior is when they are babies. and keep in mind i just got him recently, I think he may just be scared or unsure.

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

Babies are prey, and so they hide all the time. I try to keep mine on a routine. First thing in the a.m. I turn on the lights and put them all in the soaking pan, leaving them there while I do my morning ablutions and then chop up all the food. I'll put the food down for them, place them around it, then step out of their sight. They will eat then go back and hide. Once in a while I'll catch one out under the light, but mostly they hide. They are quite a bit more active when I put them in their outdoor habitat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

I just realized that this was your first post and I neglected to say:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are? (And is your name "Jenn?")

Just keep putting him in front of the food. Be kind and gentle and set up a routine. He'll eventually come to realize he's safe, and you'll start seeing more of him.

jennhrt22

5 Year Member
Thanks! haha im in So cal. And yes, my name is Jenn. Weve been doing the routine thing and im just hoping he grows out of it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As he gets older and realizes that those big humans are not a threat to him, it will change, I am also in So Cal and have 3 russians myself, so welcome from another So Cal member,

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Sounds exactly like my Russian's behavior when he was a baby! He's now a healthy, active, crazy 2-year old...enjoy them while they're young ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.