Baby Russian tortoise has white poo!

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Westchester County, NY
This is day 2 with our new baby. I took him out of his tank this morning, and gave him a bath while I tidied up his substrate and freshened his water. When I looked in on him a minute later he had pooed and it was white! Just like toothpaste. Yesterday after he arrived and I gave him a soak he had pooed a normal brownish black. Does anybody know why this could be?

ManAlive85

London UK
This is day 2 with our new baby. I took him out of his tank this morning, and gave him a bath while I tidied up his substrate and freshened his water. When I looked in on him a minute later he had pooed and it was white! Just like toothpaste. Yesterday after he arrived and I gave him a soak he had pooed a normal brownish black. Does anybody know why this could be?

Hi Mary,

I’m 99% sure this isn’t poop, it’s urates. From what I understand it’s kind of concentrated pee but I’m sure someone else can give you a more scientific explanation.

It’s normal so don’t worry. As long as it’s toothpaste consistency and not too gritty or grainy you should have no cause for concern.

I find keeping them well hydrated minimises or pretty much eliminates urates expulsion so you may find that you don’t see it so much once you settle into a routine of long daily soaks. It’s perfectly natural though and nothing to worry about.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is urates. It’s perfectly normal and is the way a tortoise gets rid of excess proteins in the diet.

They should be smooth and bit mucussy. Gritty urates indicate dehydration

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
Hi Mary,

I’m 99% sure this isn’t poop, it’s urates. From what I understand it’s kind of concentrated pee but I’m sure someone else can give you a more scientific explanation.

It’s normal so don’t worry. As long as it’s toothpaste consistency and not too gritty or grainy you should have no cause for concern.

I find keeping them well hydrated minimises or pretty much eliminates urates expulsion so you may find that you don’t see it so much once you settle into a routine of long daily soaks. It’s perfectly natural though and nothing to worry about.
Thank you sooo much, I really appreciate your help! I feel so much better knowing it's normal:)

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
This is urates. It’s perfectly normal and is the way a tortoise gets rid of excess proteins in the diet.

They should be smooth and bit mucussy. Gritty urates indicate dehydration
It was kinda mucussy, not gritty at all. Thank you!