Baby salcuta sick?

Babytort

I have a baby salcuta hatching maybe a month old. I've had him almost 2 weeks now.
He only moves a very little bit every few hours. I don't know how normal this is, but he barely opens his eyes. Most disconcerting, i barely can get him to eat.
I've tried collard greens, mustard greens, dandelions and wheatgrass. This is his 2nd day with baby food (carrots) soak.
He has heat day and night, anywhere from 85 -100 in the soaking spot.
The humidity may be low? 50
Maybe I'm just being overly protective but I'm worried.
I attached pictures of him and his home (he's soaking in the second one)
Ideas?

Attachments

• 1495153302732.jpg
    1495153302732.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1495153339826.jpg
    1495153339826.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 44

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Have you got a coil type UV bulb in there? Those burn their eyes. That might be your issue. Read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Where did you get him? Most people don't start the babies right and they die of dehydration related issues. Read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

What is the overnight low and what are you using for night heat? Most people keep them too cool, especially at night. Read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Here is some feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

If this one doesn't make it and you ever want to try again, read this for how a baby should be started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also get the humidity up to 80%. Reading all the threads Tom posted should help you. Good luck and keep us posted

Babytort

Ok. I think i do have a coil light (which i posted a picture of and have turned it off). What should i replace this with? Can i fix any damage done?
I keep his heat lamp on all the time. It keeps the warmest spot over 100 which he stays near always.
Her humidity is low. How best can i change this? Is my only option to buy an inclosed tank?

Attachments

• 20170518_224605.jpg
    20170518_224605.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 21

Babytort

Also, i got him from a reptile show and here is a current picture of her eyes.20170518_232002.jpg

Thanks for all your help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok. I think i do have a coil light (which i posted a picture of and have turned it off). What should i replace this with? Can i fix any damage done?
I keep his heat lamp on all the time. It keeps the warmest spot over 100 which he stays near always.
Her humidity is low. How best can i change this? Is my only option to buy an inclosed tank?

That is one of the cfl type coil bulbs. I would not use it any more. You don't need indoor UV bulbs if your tortoise can get outside for an hour or two per week for some real sunshine in a safe enclosure.

They need it dark at night, but still warm.

Read those threads. It is all explained. Come back with any questions.

Bee62

Germany

Replace the coil light with a mercury bulb. That sort of bulb produces heat and UBV together. I have no personal experience, but it is said that an eye damage can be healing by itself if the coil bulb is no longer used.
For night heat you must use a CHE heat emitter. It produces warmth but no light. Torts can only sleep well when it is dark.
But I have another bad suggestion on your baby, -that it was started and kept to dry before you got it.
If you have the temps fixed by 85 F day and night in the whole enclosure you must increase the humidity to 85 %. Soak your sick baby in warm water twice a day for 30 minutes. Add carrot baby food to the soaking water.
Your sick baby needs immediately warm temps and high humidity and UVB light.

Last edited:

Oogway the russian tort

you should use Zoo Meds Powersun UV bulb they produce uva/uvb and heat and you can get a lamp fixture from Homedepot. Try to feed your tortoise some carrots or give him a carrot juice soak tom help his eyes out a little. I hope all goes well with our tortoise!!! :)

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would not get sidetracked into thinking the bulb was the problem. It isn't likely at all.

What is the humidity? Looks dry in the pics. I don't like the moss setup.