Baby sick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My baby sulcata might be sick idk yet I'm not good with this stuff. His front legs have white spots on them. Is that normal??? Im worried. Please help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no disease that I know of with "white spots on the legs" as a symptom. Is it possibly calcium powder that rubbed off of the food?

Wanna give us more details about the tortoise and its care regime?

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
I feed him daily and put calcium powder on his food. I soak him in warm water daily and I have two heat lamps to keep him warm. I recently upgraded his tank to a fifty gallon enclosure with mulch and coco coir for him. He seems to like it. He acts regularly. I give him toothbrush baths once a week cuz he starts to smell. Is that okay??? He's been burrowing non stop he seems to like all the extra space. He seems normal but I just noticed the spots this morning. I don't want to lose my tort now. :( I love him too much.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Provide a clear photo to match your description.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Here he is. Also I took a picture of his belly because its looking mor brown. Or is that just because he's growing???

Attachments

• image-607543750.png
    image-607543750.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • image-1472770195.png
    image-1472770195.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • image-2798977057.png
    image-2798977057.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • image-3187526830.png
    image-3187526830.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • image-1098686797.png
    image-1098686797.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image-3937848514.png
    image-3937848514.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He certainly does have big eyes! Beautiful little sulcata.

I think what you see on the front legs is places where he has rubbed the dirt off the spurs. He looks like he could do with a bit of a cleaning.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
I give him a toothbrush bath weekly. In fact I had just done it before I took the pic to see if t was in fact dirt or something. But they stayed. And yes he does have big eyes. He's so cute

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Its external appearance indicates good health. Worry not.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
looks great to me! the tips of the spurs tend to be lighter than the base...or so I've noticed on my leopards front legs. and a toothbrush bath seems a little abrasive....maybe try a facecloth instead? they can feel their shell, and while it may not "hurt", its probably scaring the crap outta him haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All looks okay to me too.

The "stinking" part concerns me though. Can you explain that a little further. What sort of smell is it, and where is it coming from?

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Well he starts to smell like an aquatic turtle does. Kind of....idk it's hard to explain. He just smells bad so I give him a little bath and clean him and he smells fine after. I only give him a bat once a week. I'm thinking it might be from his water dish. I have it in his enclosure for him to soak in and cool of when he wants. And he likes to poop in there. He also likes to pee in his food dish so I'm thinking it could be from that??? Idk

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
Maybe you should be giving him a bath(aka soak) a little more often or a little longer? The smell might simply be his poop and pee lingering, no surprise It probably will smell. Maybe do a spot check to make sure you get any residue off while he is soaking. How often do you change the water?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Soak daily... Te toothbrush idea is great for cleaning their Spurs.... But otherwise anything under 1 1/2 years gets 30 minutes soak time a day...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoises don't have any smell and this is why I'm a bit concerned. Leftover food should be cleaned up nightly. Water bowl should be rinsed, cleaned and refilled daily. I like to soak babies daily until they hit at least 4-5". At that point I back off a bit, but still have drinking water available all the time.

Poop, soiled water and leftover food might create some smells, but your tortoise should only smell if he's got some of that on him. If he regularly has some of that on him, you might need to tweak your routine a little bit. Daily soaks will also keep your enclosure much cleaner, since they tend to poop in their soak, and therefore NOT in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.