Baby snapper in my enclosure!!

Lexitacos

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
This baby that we put in our pond awhile ago somehow got into my russians outdoor enclosure! I think he climbed on a rock that is on the outside and dug into it since i can see a little hole but wow! Why would he want to do this??!

Attachments

• 20210718_133719.jpg
    20210718_133719.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: GSM

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe he views your Russian as food or enemy. Brave little one.
I would fix whatever needed so he can't get in again and put him back where you had him.

Lexitacos

Michigan
This baby that we put in our pond awhile ago somehow got into my russians outdoor enclosure! I think he climbed on a rock that is on the outside and dug into it since i can see a little hole but wow! Why would he want to do this??!
Update: after offering a worm (which he politely declined by just closing his eyes), i picked him up and he didnt move, struggle or care at all which seemed weird to me. He reeked of some dusgusting smell and i looked at the bottom of his shell, he was producing some ooze that was yellowish and kind of pink. I dont know what it is but obviously he was sick looking for somewhere to rest/die. I put him next to the creek and cried. Currently trying to figure out what the heck happened to him:(.

Lexitacos

Michigan
Maybe he views your Russian as food or enemy. Brave little one.
I would fix whatever needed so he can't get in again and put him back where you had him.
That was my first thought, check the update to we what happened

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Update: after offering a worm (which he politely declined by just closing his eyes), i picked him up and he didnt move, struggle or care at all which seemed weird to me. He reeked of some dusgusting smell and i looked at the bottom of his shell, he was producing some ooze that was yellowish and kind of pink. I dont know what it is but obviously he was sick looking for somewhere to rest/die. I put him next to the creek and cried. Currently trying to figure out what the heck happened to him:(.
So sorry to hear this outcome!

This time of year, young turtles are prey to many species...raccoons being very common. If it was bitten and managed to get away, bacteria and fungal agents could get into the shell and blood - causing a serious infection that would not be overcome.

Of course, Common Snappers are native to Michigan - this could be a turtle different from the one you put in your pond.

Lexitacos

Michigan
So sorry to hear this outcome!

This time of year, young turtles are prey to many species...raccoons being very common. If it was bitten and managed to get away, bacteria and fungal agents could get into the shell and blood - causing a serious infection that would not be overcome.

Of course, Common Snappers are native to Michigan - this could be a turtle different from the one you put in your pond.
Thank you this most likley seems to be what happened, he doesnt have any outer shell damage but i still think he probably got attacked or bitten. I might sound stupid saying this but my dad recently but antibacterial antibodies in the pond for all the fish and such so im kind of hoping that it might help him fignt of the infection and maybe make a recovery ?