Baby star tortoises won't eat :(

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yeah I didn't mean force feed him the stuff sorry if that wasn't clear, I've never force fed a tortoise but I have force fed monitors and snakes and it's very traumatic and only last option type things, what I meant was putting some baby food in the warm water you are soaking him in.
Oh yeah, I got what you were saying :)

Sanjo

It's not easy losing a tortoise...I've been there...again I'm so sorry for your loss. But do warm soaks on your other one don't force feed him...you will stress him out & force feeding is very dangerous. Please keep us posted!! I hope someone will chime in with more experience to help you.
Thank you for being so supportive! I didn't force feed the other baby, Leo, after what you guys said, it seemed quite impossible especially since Leo is very fragile, I mixed papaya juice and a bit of fresh grape juice with warm water and soaked him and he drank a few sips on his own, he also peed and pooped a little so I'm a bit relieved! fingers crossed. Please pray for him :(

Sanjo

Here's a picture of him after drinking the juice mixed water. Does he look okay?Snapchat-8260027657588598442.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-8260027657588598442.jpg
    Snapchat-8260027657588598442.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 11

Sanjo

I would soak him in warm water mixed half water & half baby food carrot or squash for the vitamin A instead of the juice which is loaded with sugar.
I'll do that :) Thank you so much for your advice! he is lethargic but he moves around more than he did earlier so I take it as a good sign :) he walked around quite a bit today.

Sanjo

Hi guys, I've been doing daily soaks with baby food, he doesn't sleep all the time and he's up and alert and his eyes are clear. He takes a few sips every time I soak him but he still won't eat anything. Where I live there aren't many vets who knows how to treat torts so I'm not sure if I should take him to one. Can baby torts go on for so long without food?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yes they can go for a long time without eating but it depends how long is too long. Especially since you lost a tort, it may be a safe deal to see if you can find a vet as it may be something related. But I'm glad to hear that the soaks are helping!! I hope someone with more experience will chime in & help you out.

leopard777

5 Year Member
just to check , do you get to see sri lankan star in the wild ? how's the situation over there ?

Sanjo

just to check , do you get to see sri lankan star in the wild ? how's the situation over there ?
Hello :) I live in Colombo which is a city in the wet zone so we don't really see them around unless they are kept as pets. But in dry zone stars can be seen walking around mostly in the rural and forest areas :) They are pretty common in national wildlife sanctuaries like Bundala, Habarana etc. They are pretty common.