Baby Sulcata acting weird

Jake1997

I have had Wong for about a month now and he is still a baby and has been acting weird. He has been opening his mouth really wide and there are bubbles in his mouth also and he is walking differently than normal. I have him on repibark and the temps I think are all good. I have read that the substrate could just be too dry. Do I need to take him to the vet??!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
with bubbles & open mouth breathing I would definitely take this tortoise to the vet. it really does sound like a respiratory infection to me. Just for information purposes whar are your temperature please?

Jake1997

What do you think causes respiratory infection? Its about 90 basking area and 70 elsewhere. Is that too cold?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
that does sound cool to me the Basking should be a little bit higher overall should be about 80. Basically cold temperatures and bacteria causes respiratory infection

Jake1997

Okay great thanks! How long should it take for him to be back to normal, or should I just take him to the vet right away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't breath through their mouth, so if their nose is plugged they eventually have to open their mouth to gasp in a breath. The tortoise needs to see a vet sooner rather than later.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the quicker the tortoise is treated the better its chances will be for survival

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would warm the temps up significantly and see if that soles the problem without the use of harsh medicines.

The temperature should never drop below 80 day or night under normal circumstances. In your case keep it between 85 and 90 for at least two weeks AFTER symptoms disappear. Even which these warm temps, there should still be a basking area that get 95-100 all day long. Soak daily in warm water to prevent dehydration with all this electric heat. Twice a day won't hurt either. Keep the soak water warm at all times.

Here is how to house your sulcata and how to maintain the correct temps:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And some feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Jake1997

Thanks so much it is really helpful!! I will see the vet tomorrow and what he recommends. But hopefully we don't have to give Wong any shots.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
A word of warning no matter what the vet says no vitamin shots.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why ? O_O my vet has given Max vitamin shots, she would always do them and not ask me, but charge me for them afterwards:mad:

Because they don't need it and its potentially harmful or deadly.

This can also be a sign that the vet doesn't know what he/she is talking about and is reading something from a handbook or vet website in the back office.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Because they don't need it and its potentially harmful or deadly.

This can also be a sign that the vet doesn't know what he/she is talking about and is reading something from a handbook or vet website in the back office.
Ugh, thank you. I will not be going back to my vet for sure.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if your tortoise does indeed need some extra vitamins the safest way is to get water soluble bird vitamins from the pet store and put it in their water.

nyejoshua

Your tort prob has an upper respiratory infection. It will not go away by itself and it may kill the animal. You should see an exotic animal vet. Prob needs antibiotics and nasal drops.