Baby sulcata becoming lethargic - started dry

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
you can if you do it safely. what that means is to quarantine properly. keep them 100% totally separated for a min of 6 months. we recc 1 year now. use gloves when handling them. do not ever share anything. things like that. if you follow a VERY VERY strict quarantine then you can safely bring someone in without any effect on others you have. this does not mean that one will of course be healthy but it will prevent spread of anything to others you may have.

the only thing sadly to make them more comfortable is pain meds and or and i DO NOT say this lightly euthanasia. if this is aw its is painful. it causes necrosis to tissues inside, bone, muscle, organs etc.

they should not really be allowed to roam outside. i know that may not be what you want to hear but this can cause spread to wildlife and can cause spread to other animals. austwickia can be found in soil, water etc. so even in water run off.

i feel terrible every time i see a baby with this knowing there is nothing that can really be done and after seeing first hand up close necropsy done and how bad it was inside it hurts me to see a baby with this. i hate all this and i wish there was a way to eliminate it all.

fernando7kose

Indonesia
you can if you do it safely. what that means is to quarantine properly. keep them 100% totally separated for a min of 6 months. we recc 1 year now. use gloves when handling them. do not ever share anything. things like that. if you follow a VERY VERY strict quarantine then you can safely bring someone in without any effect on others you have. this does not mean that one will of course be healthy but it will prevent spread of anything to others you may have.

the only thing sadly to make them more comfortable is pain meds and or and i DO NOT say this lightly euthanasia. if this is aw its is painful. it causes necrosis to tissues inside, bone, muscle, organs etc.

they should not really be allowed to roam outside. i know that may not be what you want to hear but this can cause spread to wildlife and can cause spread to other animals. austwickia can be found in soil, water etc. so even in water run off.

i feel terrible every time i see a baby with this knowing there is nothing that can really be done and after seeing first hand up close necropsy done and how bad it was inside it hurts me to see a baby with this. i hate all this and i wish there was a way to eliminate it all.
Ahh you're right. I didn't think how it would spread to wildlife. Should I also sterilize my garden? Any suggestion on how to do it?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate all the information in other threads that you posted, I have read through most of it.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
given time and the sun it should fade over time. i would not recc pouring ammonia out there that can have bad effects also. you could burn the ground but that doesnt mean it will kill it all. its hard to say really how to fully "sanitize" the lawn i hate to say that. uv light over time should hopefully kill it off. heat can also kill this so you can try boiling water but it will also kill the garden.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
im not sure why this site doesnt notify me when im tagged i do have notifications turned on. maybe a mod can check that for me somehow?

but im so sorry that does look like a case of aw. there are 2 general ways this looks one is the yellow-white ish bumps or blister like spots. then there is this way with the yellow plaques. this way seems to sadly be the worse of the two and seems to be a much faster progression of the austwickia. along with the toe nail loss and the skin issues im afraid this is pretty much 100% (imo) austwickia.

i would def have responded sooner.

we now have confirmation this has been positive in other species, leopards. red foot, russians, greeks, aldabra etc

no it is not contagious to humans but it is HIGHLY contagious to all other species of reptiles.

typically there is no way to sterilize everything. the best this is to replace anything you can. we have seen people try to sterilize only to have the next ones placed into the enclosure end up with the same thing weeks to months later. we generally recc to people to properly dispose of or even burn things that have come into contact with this. its sad but this seems here to stay now and i dont think at this point there is any way to eliminate this from the tortoise world / population i hate to think how bad next year is going to be since this seems to get worse every year now and more widespread even now among other breeds.
Has anyone figured out the origin of AW? Because we are seeing this in so many different types of reptiles now, I am wondering if this is coming from humans to the reptiles. Has anyone looked into this? Could humans be shedding or passing something to the animals? Is this a bacteria that has been isolated?

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh you're right. I didn't think how it would spread to wildlife. Should I also sterilize my garden? Any suggestion on how to do it?

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate all the information in other threads that you posted, I have read through most of it.
Sunshine is a very good sanitizer.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
its been around for a long time technically back to the 70's. but its been being seen in torts more and more since around 2010 then a study in 2015 i think then the past 2-3 years have been really bad with each year getting worse imo. this is not from humans nor can it be spread to humans. the bacteria is part of the Dermatophilaceae family of gram-positive family

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i will be in the hospital on and off for around the next 2-3 weeks for cancer treatment if i dont respond right away to questions. ill be here every day for the remainder of the week this week. i will try to respond though

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i will be in the hospital on and off for around the next 2-3 weeks for cancer treatment if i dont respond right away to questions. ill be here every day for the remainder of the week this week. i will try to respond though
Good luck, and hope you lick this darned thing!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Find out your Vitamin D3 level, you want it around 80-100 to beat cancer. Good Luck and know you are in all out thoughts and prayers.