Baby sulcata Broken claws and leg scales

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
sadly none. nothing is fully effective and nothing so far will make it totally go away some will suppress it for a bit but then it comes back, and sometimes with a vengeance. also remember aw is HIGHLY contagious. so any other reptiles you might have be so so so careful with just in case as well as wildlife can be affected if they are let to roam outside and they in fact do have it. it remains contagious even when no signs are seen also from our experience with this.

Raywood

Oregon
sadly none. nothing is fully effective and nothing so far will make it totally go away some will suppress it for a bit but then it comes back, and sometimes with a vengeance. also remember aw is HIGHLY contagious. so any other reptiles you might have be so so so careful with just in case as well as wildlife can be affected if they are let to roam outside and they in fact do have it. it remains contagious even when no signs are seen also from our experience with this.
Ok, I reached back out to the vet. Just sent her these photos and she said if she suspects that it might be this infection )which she has seen before) then she’ll take immediate action. I did notice a growth on his leg maybe nothing but also could be something

Attachments

• 91BA4E1D-4B4C-41AC-863B-EBF239AAFC24.jpeg
    91BA4E1D-4B4C-41AC-863B-EBF239AAFC24.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 640DB437-1D6A-4919-A9AB-29CF3076C333.jpeg
    640DB437-1D6A-4919-A9AB-29CF3076C333.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 88E6974C-65EC-4C71-8132-E406F280814F.jpeg
    88E6974C-65EC-4C71-8132-E406F280814F.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2057EA65-9C9D-48F3-9D71-E7F5B60AE635.jpeg
    2057EA65-9C9D-48F3-9D71-E7F5B60AE635.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 20
  • 34933E95-D9CF-4147-A777-A5295847F865.jpeg
    34933E95-D9CF-4147-A777-A5295847F865.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 20

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
the spot on the leg is a bit to blurry to really get a good look.

normally the spots from aw appear on the skin not on the spurs or generally that area of the leg but with aw there is nothing out of question. nothing jumps out from those pics but there are not super clear everywhere either. aw spots tend to look a few ways. one is a swollen yellowish patch of skin usually on the head or neck (in most cases) or yellow spots that appear sort of crusty and dry almost and the third are blister like bumps either white or more yellow in appearance here are a couple pics of the spots both ways. the last pic you can see one on the left face under the eye and on on the inner left neck those are the also tested positive to be aw. in all these cases they had toenails missing and among more then 100 other cases 96% or more of them show toenail issues9ab183db-43ee-4aa9-a579-26caf1f94e93 (1).jpgtort bumps.png126933655-172038274581279-6280162259336693970-n.jpg

Raywood

Oregon
Well, I took him back to vet because of those issues I wrote about above. No yellow bumps however under one or two of the Osteo Derms is protruding creating an outward projection of two osteo derms.

The vet did a scraping and an analysis of the bacteria. She sees a similarity between AW and the bacteria that is present.

This is her analysis

Hello West,

Regarding your young sulcata Nugget, the treatment recommendations seem to be the same as what we previously discussed - remove any masses we can find, use CT scan imaging to find more internally, and use a combination of medications to try to reduce the masses that we cannot access to remove them.

I have attached 2 treatment plan estimates related to those recommendations. The "meds and supplies" ones would include you giving Doxycycline liquid medication once a day by mouth (probably hiding it in a favorite treat food), and giving an injection of ampicillin under the skin of the front half of the body, every 12 hours. If we are really committing to treatment, several months will likely be required. The attached estimate includes costs for approximately 25 days of supplies. The Doxycycline would come from a local compounding pharmacy (they call you for details, and then mail the medication to you), and the other items would come from us.

For the CT scan, the costs vary depending on how high/detailed a resolution we are using (90 micron versus 150 or 200 micron - 90 is best but more expensive since we would need to do 2 scans), and whether we believe sedation is needed to keep him still for the process.

Please let us know if you are wanting to proceed with any of this.”

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
a ct scan will not always show this inside unless there are masses. with aw there are not always masses sometimes its just necrosis of tissue. a pcr test would be best but they do need to remove a section of skin to do that.

shawnateerow

Maurice
a ct scan will not always show this inside unless there are masses. with aw there are not always masses sometimes its just necrosis of tissue. a pcr test would be best but they do need to remove a section of skin to do that.
@Raywood hw is your little one doing?? Please update! @mastershake is the lab still testing AW? and I think that I asked a while back but can't recall the answer..what so far has been the highest age and/or weight that a tort with AW has lived?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
@Raywood hw is your little one doing?? Please update! @mastershake is the lab still testing AW? and I think that I asked a while back but can't recall the answer..what so far has been the highest age and/or weight that a tort with AW has lived?
i never was notified of your response here. we have done all the testing and there is sadly nothing out there to fully "cure" this. a combo of a number of injectable meds MIGHT help but at the same time will prob be enough alone to damage the organs without even helping enough. all sensitivity has already been done. some meds can sometimes suppress it for a while but nothing alone will cure this. of the ones we know of or the ones in hand 15 months roughly is about as far as we were willing to let them go before euthanizing due to them going downhill again. in other species same thing around 12months to just under 2 years is the limits we have found. one case was a king cobra etc. we have run it through all the tests possible at this point. and this information comes right from the labs working on this regarding treatment. it sucks i know.

shawnateerow

Maurice
i never was notified of your response here. we have done all the testing and there is sadly nothing out there to fully "cure" this. a combo of a number of injectable meds MIGHT help but at the same time will prob be enough alone to damage the organs without even helping enough. all sensitivity has already been done. some meds can sometimes suppress it for a while but nothing alone will cure this. of the ones we know of or the ones in hand 15 months roughly is about as far as we were willing to let them go before euthanizing due to them going downhill again. in other species same thing around 12months to just under 2 years is the limits we have found. one case was a king cobra etc. we have run it through all the tests possible at this point. and this information comes right from the labs working on this regarding treatment. it sucks i know.
Were the bumps always the first sign of the decline? Or have any had other issues that began the regression? And how large did the biggest sulcata get before the decline started? Curious, since I know it usually stunts their growth...🥺

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
some of the never even showed the bumps. some just showed lethargy and the odd skin they tend to get with this its hard to really explain it unless you have seen as many of them as we have in hand. like a darker kind of cracked or broken skin. it def stunts them. the largest WE have seen was still around 1.5lbs when it passed on its own. there had been a gopher found more recently in the wild which was bigger but then there is no way to tell when they contracted it. if they have it from a baby they tend to decline around 1 yr or so and then if they make it past that somehow 15-16 months we were seeing the next time they showed more symptoms again (toe nail came out again, swelling, loose watery poop etc etc) then we knew it was coming back and if they passed or we felt it was time necropsy was done to verify it was back.