MissTerraFirma

Location (City and/or State)
Ludington, Michigan
I have a seven month old hatchling sulcata. He is very active in moving about his enclosure and drinks water but hasn’t eaten in a few days.
Should I be concerned?
Is there any foods I can offer that would entice him to eat?

I have a red footed tortoise that I have had these issues before with but since this sulcata is so young I really have been extra precaution on its diet and habits.

Cari48038

Dearborn, MI
I have a seven month old hatchling sulcata. He is very active in moving about his enclosure and drinks water but hasn’t eaten in a few days.
Should I be concerned?
Is there any foods I can offer that would entice him to eat?

I have a red footed tortoise that I have had these issues before with but since this sulcata is so young I really have been extra precaution on its diet and habits.
Where do you live? If it is getting colder outside, it can be normal for them to cut back on how active they are and how much they eat.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

What are your temps? Basking, coolest part of the enclosure, and night?
What is your humidity?

MissTerraFirma

Ludington, Michigan
Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

What are your temps? Basking, coolest part of the enclosure, and night?
What is your humidity?

The temp in the house is 70 degrees. I am embarked to say I don’t have a thermometer in the enclosure.
I keep it moist with a miss that I moisten and I soak him every other day. I also put him in the smaller water dish before feedings.
He has been doing well since a few days ago.

Attachments

• F23395C6-36E5-48C5-AC39-CC8D8900E330.jpeg
    F23395C6-36E5-48C5-AC39-CC8D8900E330.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
  • AFA0BF8A-DA24-4E9F-8F06-F8A18042B1B5.jpeg
    AFA0BF8A-DA24-4E9F-8F06-F8A18042B1B5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32

Cari48038

Dearborn, MI
I live in Michigan, USA. It has started to snow and temps have dropped to the twenties here.
I'm in Michigan as well! My red foot is still eating normally, but my beard dragon has slowed way down on his activity and food intake. I'd recommend getting at least two thermometers for the tank/cage and a thermal gun to measure specific parts to spot check.

Cari48038

Dearborn, MI
I'm in Michigan as well! My red foot is still eating normally, but my beard dragon has slowed way down on his activity and food intake. I'd recommend getting at least two thermometers for the tank/cage and a thermal gun to measure specific parts to spot check.
Bearded dragon* lol

MissTerraFirma

Ludington, Michigan
Wow what are the odds we come from the same state.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The temp in the house is 70 degrees. I am embarked to say I don’t have a thermometer in the enclosure.
I keep it moist with a miss that I moisten and I soak him every other day. I also put him in the smaller water dish before feedings.
He has been doing well since a few days ago.

The fact that you don’t know your temps is likely the problem. These are cold blooded animals that cannot regulate their own temperatures, and rely entirely on heat sources to function. The most common reason tortoises aren’t eating is because of improper temps. You need to gat a digital thermometer with a probe or cheap temp gun (highly recommended) ASAP, as well as a digital hygrometer. Do you have any heat sources?
You need a 95-100 degree basking spots, and temps should never fall below 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure, day and night. Do you have any night heat?

You need an entirely enclosed enclosure with little to no ventilation to hold in the heat and humidity you need.

Those ramp bowls are drowning/flipping hazards, and it should be changed to a terra cotta saucer.

Please give these a read and make changes to your care-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just realized your Sulcata is housed with your redfoot.

They need to be separated immediately. Species should never, ever be mixed. Those two have entirely different care, are different sizes, are completely solitary animals, and since they come from different places, they can easily give each other diseases. Get them separate enclosures ASAP.

That enclosure isn’t suitable for your redfoot, either. I put together this Care Sheet a while ago, and I highly suggest you give it a read and make changes.
http://aminoapps.com/p/m9tcj0

Melis

Maryland
Your red foot and baby sulcata are being housed together?

Cari48038

Dearborn, MI
Wow what are the odds we come from the same state.
What type of UVB bulb are you using? If that is a mini dome fixture, that's not going to work for that size enclosure for either animal. UVB fluorescent fixtures are better, especially for tortoises.

Cari48038

Dearborn, MI
I just noticed that you're feeding them on what looks like eco earth substrate. It is also possible that he ate some of the substrate and is impacted.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I just noticed that you're feeding them on what looks like eco earth substrate. It is also possible that he ate some of the substrate and is impacted.

Since eco earth is just coconut fiber, it usually passes right through as long as the enclosure is heated properly.