baby sulcata enclosure question

Runnergirl31

Location (City and/or State)
Tulsa Oklahoma
Hello!!

I recently got a Tort Box and I put my 9 week old Sulcata Scout in it. I am wondering if the hide needs a heating lamp over it or if I should just keep his UVB and heat lamp on his "open area" I do have an extra heating lamp and I am worried about his temp at night in the house. We dont let it get below 73 at night but I still worry. I have temp gauges in his cage and I monitor them pretty heavily so I know his play area is getting warm enough. I know he has been a little less enthusiastic about food these last two days so I am getting a bit nervous. I didnt think two heating lamps and a UVB would be too terrible but I wanted to ask before I did it. I'm also wondering about plants I can add into the area that he can snack on and hide in. I am really wanting to give him a very enriched and interesting home since i know in the winter months he will be a inside tort.

Thank you!
MK

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hello!!

I recently got a Tort Box and I put my 9 week old Sulcata Scout in it. I am wondering if the hide needs a heating lamp over it or if I should just keep his UVB and heat lamp on his "open area" I do have an extra heating lamp and I am worried about his temp at night in the house. We dont let it get below 73 at night but I still worry. I have temp gauges in his cage and I monitor them pretty heavily so I know his play area is getting warm enough. I know he has been a little less enthusiastic about food these last two days so I am getting a bit nervous. I didnt think two heating lamps and a UVB would be too terrible but I wanted to ask before I did it. I'm also wondering about plants I can add into the area that he can snack on and hide in. I am really wanting to give him a very enriched and interesting home since i know in the winter months he will be a inside tort.

Thank you!
MK

Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

Your sulcata’s enclosure should never fall below 80 in any part of the enclosure day and night. a hide can go slightly lower, but not by much. You should have a ceramic heat emitter to maintain temps.

If you mean that as an adult he won’t be outside during winter, that isn’t much of an option. Unless you convert an entire basement or very large room into an enclosure, anything will likely be too small or not adequate. You’ll need to build a heated shed for the winter months.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Runnergirl31

Tulsa Oklahoma
Could we see a picture of your enclosure?

Your sulcata’s enclosure should never fall below 80 in any part of the enclosure day and night. a hide can go slightly lower, but not by much. You should have a ceramic heat emitter to maintain temps.

If you mean that as an adult he won’t be outside during winter, that isn’t much of an option. Unless you convert an entire basement or very large room into an enclosure, anything will likely be too small or not adequate. You’ll need to build a heated shed for the winter months.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Yeah, every time I ask a question people send me those link and I have read all of those a few times over.

I also obviously mean as of right now he wont be able to go outside in the winter. When he's bigger we plan to convert the garage into his own home with his own heating and all.

His enclosure doesn't fall below 80 in the main habitat area but I am getting a temp gun to see what his hide and to get a better read on his overall temp. I just got this tort box and I am trying to figure out how I need to have it set up that is best for him.

I am also looking for things I can add to make his home more interesting for him. the original poster had some plants in their Torts habitat.

I will post pics asap.

MK

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yeah, every time I ask a question people send me those link and I have read all of those a few times over.

I also obviously mean as of right now he wont be able to go outside in the winter. When he's bigger we plan to convert the garage into his own home with his own heating and all.

His enclosure doesn't fall below 80 in the main habitat area but I am getting a temp gun to see what his hide and to get a better read on his overall temp. I just got this tort box and I am trying to figure out how I need to have it set up that is best for him.

I am also looking for things I can add to make his home more interesting for him. the original poster had some plants in their Torts habitat.

I will post pics asap.

MK

Ah, ok! Everything sounds okay then ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I will post pics asap.

MK
If you read the links provided in the previous post, then you'll note that we don't advise keeping baby sulcatas in a "tort box." It needs to be covered to simulate a closed chamber. It's impossible to keep a tort box humid enough as all the warm moist air rises out into the room instead of staying in the box. So figure out how to cover the box and it should be ok.

Yes, you can use plants, either real or fake. This also helps keep it humid inside.

Runnergirl31

Tulsa Oklahoma
His top is covered and I am not having many issues with humidity because I keep a humidifier in my room. I know it says no tort box but he was in a pretty small aquarium so I think this is an improvement either way.
If you read the links provided in the previous post, then you'll note that we don't advise keeping baby sulcatas in a "tort box." It needs to be covered to simulate a closed chamber. It's impossible to keep a tort box humid enough as all the warm moist air rises out into the room instead of staying in the box. So figure out how to cover the box and it should be ok.

Yes, you can use plants, either real or fake. This also helps keep it humid inside.

His top is covered and Im not having many issues with humility right now. I have read what people say about tort boxes but it was this or a aquarium that was pretty small so I figured this would be better. I have a humidifier in my room and I spray him when he needs it, plus soaking once a day, plus a large water dish. I am being pretty cautious about humidity and heat because he is so small.

They dont eat plastic or fake plants?? I was thinking about putting a succulent in there but I wasn't sure if he snacked on one if it would hurt him or not.

Thank you.

MK

Runnergirl31

Tulsa Oklahoma

Should I keep him in the aquarium inside and use the Tort Box for an outside play space for now? I really thought he would need more space inside so I switched them but I could move them back. I dont have anything to build with so I am limited on what I can create for the little dude. I am going to research more inside enclosures and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

MK

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen a few members use the large plastic totes with the lids. You cut out holes where the lights will go and leave the lid on the tub. I'll see if I can find a picture for you. BRB. . .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A small aquarium isn't suitable, but I've never been able to get good results from an open topped "tortoise box" of any kind. Even with two humidifiers running in a 10x20 reptile room, it was still too dry under those hot lamps. You have to use higher wattage, hotter lamps with an open top to keep the temps correct.

The solution is not one or the other of these two less-than-optimal enclosures. The solution os to buy or build the right type of enclosure. Many people seem so reluctant to try this, and I can't understand why. It makes your life sooooooo much easier and the tortoise's life so much better. Also saves a tremendous amount on electricity. You can find them here:
https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages or here: http://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-cages/2x4-12-single-door-cage/

Or you can build one like these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/our-new-closed-chamber-for-our-new-group-of-tortoises.138430/

You mentioned the hide area being 73. This is too cold. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80. A CHE set on a thermostat should solve this problem. Or warm the whole room to 80, if that is practical for your situation. This is another reason why the closed chambers just work better. They are very easy to heat and keep a warm ambient throughout.

Live plants will be eaten or trampled unless they are in pots. All of my tortoises try to eat plastic or silk plants, so I can't use them. I use fresh mulberry or grape vine branches and replace them every day or two for this purpose.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
A small aquarium isn't suitable, but I've never been able to get good results from an open topped "tortoise box" of any kind. Even with two humidifiers running in a 10x20 reptile room, it was still too dry under those hot lamps. You have to use higher wattage, hotter lamps with an open top to keep the temps correct.

The solution is not one or the other of these two less-than-optimal enclosures. The solution os to buy or build the right type of enclosure. Many people seem so reluctant to try this, and I can't understand why. It makes your life sooooooo much easier and the tortoise's life so much better. Also saves a tremendous amount on electricity. You can find them here:
https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages or here: http://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-cages/2x4-12-single-door-cage/

Or you can build one like these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/our-new-closed-chamber-for-our-new-group-of-tortoises.138430/

You mentioned the hide area being 73. This is too cold. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80. A CHE set on a thermostat should solve this problem. Or warm the whole room to 80, if that is practical for your situation. This is another reason why the closed chambers just work better. They are very easy to heat and keep a warm ambient throughout.

Live plants will be eaten or trampled unless they are in pots. All of my tortoises try to eat plastic or silk plants, so I can't use them. I use fresh mulberry or grape vine branches and replace them every day or two for this purpose.

I've been eyeballing this enclosure and was wondering how long I could house my 3 inch leopard before he outgrows it? And also what minimum additions I should add to its construction? I don't need the LED's, but I'm sure i might need something else. But what?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180812-004111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180812-004111_Chrome.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been eyeballing this enclosure and was wondering how long I could house my 3 inch leopard before he outgrows it? And also what minimum additions I should add to its construction? I don't need the LED's, but I'm sure i might need something else. But what?
I think a 3" leopard is already to large for a 48x24. And 12" height is not enough for tortoises and a basking bulb. Might work for a RF with no basking bulb, but not for a leopard. By the time that cage arrives he'll be even bigger. Get the T25 and you might get a year or two out of it.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Cage arrives? Are they made to order? That's the reason why it takes awhile to get it? I've never thought about that. And how long do I have to wait before it arrives after ordering? Thanks for the recommendation!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cage arrives? Are they made to order? That's the reason why it takes awhile to get it? I've never thought about that. And how long do I have to wait before it arrives after ordering? Thanks for the recommendation!
Once you order your AP cage with Alli it will take at least 10-12 weeks to arrive. Some of mine took 5 months. The are more worried about quality and perfection than quantity and speed. It can be a bit frustrating waiting for months to receive your cage, but once you get it, it is beautiful and excellent in every way.

You can order a 2x4' one from Reptile Basics and those ship much quicker, but its on the small side. It might hold you over until the AP cage arrives, but then you had to buy two cages. This is not a problem for me because I will always just put something else in the now empty smaller cage, but some people just don't need that. You can always sell the extra cage on the internet too.

I've thought about ordering 20 or 30 cages from AP just to have them on hand and be able to sell them to people as needed, but there isn't a price break for quantity and shipping would be daunting on something so large. There is not a simple solution. If you want excellence and perfection, you wait for it.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Once you order your AP cage with Alli it will take at least 10-12 weeks to arrive. Some of mine took 5 months. The are more worried about quality and perfection than quantity and speed. It can be a bit frustrating waiting for months to receive your cage, but once you get it, it is beautiful and excellent in every way.

You can order a 2x4' one from Reptile Basics and those ship much quicker, but its on the small side. It might hold you over until the AP cage arrives, but then you had to buy two cages. This is not a problem for me because I will always just put something else in the now empty smaller cage, but some people just don't need that. You can always sell the extra cage on the internet too.

I've thought about ordering 20 or 30 cages from AP just to have them on hand and be able to sell them to people as needed, but there isn't a price break for quantity and shipping would be daunting on something so large. There is not a simple solution. If you want excellence and perfection, you wait for it.
You are absolutely correct. I think I'll need to mow a few more extras lawns or open up a lemonade stand before I can invest in that big AP cage. Things will get easier when my 3 teen boys get older. In the meantime, I'll try to build an outdoor enclosure for the summer months and dedicate a room for the winter ones. Things will get easier and more fun when I move to Florida in 5 years though. I can't wait!