Baby sulcata eye lid swollen

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello just want some advice on how to treat little Apollos eye lid. ( no coil bulb used ) I'll post a pic in a min

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
They are kept moist. Eco earth lights are off at night. I have a ceramic heater at night.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I've had them about a week and s half. So not sure before what he was in. Pretty reputable exotic pet shop though

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most breeders start them very dry. The only time I see eye problems are when people use coil bulbs, or when they are dry started. This case could be an exception to both, but as soon as you say "pet store" I suspect both as possible causes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So soaks heat and time?

That is what I would do.

Even if you have a rare pet store that takes good care of their tortoises, it is very likely that the breeder they buy from gives the babies the typical dry start. Those first few days and weeks are critical. Tonight I soaked my latest hatchlings and there is one the literally just hatched last night. He stuck his head under the water and drank for 3-4 minutes during his second soak the day after he hatched. Can you imagine the damage done by making that baby live in a dry environment with no water for a week?

Who you buy your baby from has a lot to do with what happens later.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What are you using for uvb? It could've got something in his eye . If you're using a vapor lamp how high is it. The only way you will know if its from to much uvb you will need to use a uv meter to check the out put of the lamp.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I have a vapor but don't really use it. I take them out for a few hours a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You said "them". How many do you have? Are they living together in the same enclosure?

How many hours a day are you leaving them outside in your dry climate?

kaitiejane

My tortoise hatchling was having this issue too, I got him from Arizona tortoise compound though. If you go to Arizonatortiosecompound.com and click on the medical tab he sells eye ointment for about 14 dollars I think. If you just put a thin layer on the eye for about a week it should clear up! Hope that helps!!

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
2 but they are separate. I have an area I built outside for them. It has shaded Area plus topsoil that I keep pretty moist when they go out. I give them soaks after they go out as well.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
That is what I would do.

Even if you have a rare pet store that takes good care of their tortoises, it is very likely that the breeder they buy from gives the babies the typical dry start. Those first few days and weeks are critical. Tonight I soaked my latest hatchlings and there is one the literally just hatched last night. He stuck his head under the water and drank for 3-4 minutes during his second soak the day after he hatched. Can you imagine the damage done by making that baby live in a dry environment with no water for a week?

Who you buy your baby from has a lot to do with what happens later.
☺️