Baby Sulcata growth and weight gain - too much?

Notlixyy

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I have a one month old African Sulcata and I’m concerned it’s growing too fast.

I got him about a week ago and he was about 2 inches and 44 grams. A week later he was already 60 grams but still around 2 inches. Is this growth rate too fast? If it is, what can I do to slow it down?

He’s currently eating lettuce, romaine, and other leafy greens. His enclosure also has 80%+ humidity and 85F+ temperatures at all times. I soak him once a day for 20-30 minutes and I safely put him outside in the sun for about an hour a day. He also poops fine every day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

ryan57

PA
No. That means you're doing things right and the tortoise is healthy. So my only experience is two sulcatas. That said, last year my little one stayed around 50 grams for a very long time before it started growing like yours. That one, Figgy, was 200g @ 6 months and 593g (almost 600g) tonight @ 9 months. Hoping for 900g or there about at 1 year.

Now Stump. There are a ton of posts here on Stump since I got him. He's also on YouTube "Stump Tortoise" or "Stump Sulcata". This guy is almost 2 years and 3 months old. Yeah... 36lbs and getting huge. Think about that. A little over 2 years and approaching 40lbs. This was taken over the weekend and that plywood is 48"x48"
IMG_5211.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 7.59.14 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-28 at 7.55.45 PM.png
Our sweet figster had two scutes that were fused together when s/he hatched. You're in for a wild ride!
Figgy as a hatchling:
IMG_4238.jpeg

Last edited:

Notlixyy

Los Angeles
Thank you so much for clearing it up! I had saw some people saying that you could overfeed them and that fast growth would be a problem, but I also saw others saying the opposite, that you can’t overfeed them and there’s no specific growth rate that’s too fast. So I wasn’t sure which was true.

ryan57

PA
Thank you so much for clearing it up! I had saw some people saying that you could overfeed them and that fast growth would be a problem, but I also saw others saying the opposite, that you can’t overfeed them and there’s no specific growth rate that’s too fast. So I wasn’t sure which was true.
Well one thing is for sure, you don't have to beg your little one to eat. You also can't force feed them so there is that. Just feed them all they want of the RIGHT foods. Search for "the best way to raise a sulcata" if you have not already. Tom's guide is spot on and just make sure that what you're feeding is on that list.