Baby Sulcata has no energy to stay awake... HELP!

PinkiePie19

Hello,

I am new to the forum and got my sulcata baby 2 weeks ago from a breeder. Soc is 4 months old and for the first 2 weeks we had him he has been active, eating, and walking everywhere. He woild wake up easily and always wanted to explore.

Over the past 2 days he has changed drastically. He won't eat, can't stay awake for very long, falls asleep in his soak dish, has no front leg energy unless he is in his enclosure and moving to a cool spot.

I have read many post on here and I have upped his temp and have given him 2 heat lamps. One is a ceramic heat emitter and other is a mercury vapor bulb that gives of light and heat as well as UVA / UVB rays. They are side by side putting the temp at 105degreesF or higher if i adjust the ceramic heat emitter temp.

I am from Canada and the warm weather is here so i have been taking him out on my balcony in the sun and letting him soak and roam around. He does have an inside enclosure but I do take him outside like I just stated for 20 mins when its warm.

His enclosure is a container from walmart that is long and shallow and is 66 gallon. He has LOTS of space to roam around and there is a hot a cool side.

He has been getting a soak everyday and he was eating every other day. His diet consists of endive sprinkled with calcium powder every other day and he gets to eat organic oat grass that I grow for him everyday not sprinkled with powder.

His bedding is eco earth and I keep it very moist, put water in it and mix it good everyday. I have checked his nostrils and eyes and they are clear.

His temp was 90degreesF so I read around and bumped it like i said and he will walk around in the heated area which is now at 105degreesF but he won't walk around outside of that area. He can open his eyes and has energy but if i give him a soak he falls alseep quick and won't walk around in his dish like he used to. He tucks his front legs in close to his body. The temp in my apartment is 80degressF all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to give as much detail as I could. I read that people said to feed baby carrot food to give him some vitamin A. Would that help my baby? I am also going to buy a humidifier from Walmart to raise the humidity in the room he is in .Will this help?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only the basking temp should be 95-100, the rest of the enclosure should be 80 with a humidity of 80%. Please read the links below in my post, click on the title and adjust what you are doing. A low sided uncovered enclosure is not good. You need to get higher sides, put a top on it with lights heat inside of cut holes in lid. Get humidity where it should be too.