Baby Sulcata has stopped eating

CalebD

Location (City and/or State)
Wexford
I have a 4/5 month old sulcata and a few days ago he stopped eating. but for the past 2 weeks before he stopped eating he would only eat a small amount of grass and a lot of lettuce. he also sleeps 22 hours a day and only wakes up when i give him a bath.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Some more info on your general husbandry - enclosure, lighting, heating, soaking routine (if any). Sounds like you might have a few factors influencing your torts behavior.

Pix of your enclosure will help too.

CalebD

Wexford
Greetings.

Some more info on your general husbandry - enclosure, lighting, heating, soaking routine (if any). Sounds like you might have a few factors influencing your torts behavior.

Pix of your enclosure will help too.
I'm not home at the moment so I can't take any pics of the enclosure but I have a 125w uvb and uva light which I keep on 12 hours a day then change to a ceramic heater at night. Usually 32C in his basking area and 27 average in the enclosure during the day and 25 at night and I give him a 20 minute soak every day

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 4/5 month old sulcata and a few days ago he stopped eating. but for the past 2 weeks before he stopped eating he would only eat a small amount of grass and a lot of lettuce. he also sleeps 22 hours a day and only wakes up when i give him a bath.
We will need more info to help you. Mark's questions above will be a good start.

Most people don't house them correctly and pet shops, breeders and vets usually give terrible housing and care advice. If this is your issue, we can help you fix it.

Most breeders do not start this species correctly and the majority of hatchlings don't survive because of it. If this is your issue, there may be nothin anyone can do. The lesson here is to buy from the correct source.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not home at the moment so I can't take any pics of the enclosure but I have a 125w uvb and uva light which I keep on 12 hours a day then change to a ceramic heater at night. Usually 32C in his basking area and 27 average in the enclosure during the day and 25 at night and I give him a 20 minute soak every day
You've got the wrong bulb there, your temps are too cool, and your CHE should be set on a thermostat and left on 24/7.

The immediate concern is to get the temperatures up. Basking area should be 37. Overnight low shouldn't drop below 26-27. Daytime ambient in the whole enclosure should be up around 32-33.

This will help you:

CalebD

Wexford
You've got the wrong bulb there, your temps are too cool, and your CHE should be set on a thermostat and left on 24/7.

The immediate concern is to get the temperatures up. Basking area should be 37. Overnight low shouldn't drop below 26-27. Daytime ambient in the whole enclosure should be up around 32-33.

This will help you:
I'm going to start having my ceramic heater on at all times to get the temp higher thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Humidity is very low. It's around 40 and 50 I ordered a humidifier but it doesn't arrive until Friday
Humidifiers should not be used with tortoises. Maintain higher humidity by using a closed chamber enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm going to start having my ceramic heater on at all times to get the temp higher thank you
Set the CHE on a thermostat. It should not run 24/7. The CHE is used to maintain ambient temperatures. No need for it to be on and running if the temperature is already warm enough. In a closed chamber, the basking lamp will usually heat up the whole chamber in the day time and the thermostat will keep the CHE off.