Baby sulcata hatched without right front leg

Redfoot mamma

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a baby hatch today it came out of an egg that was cracked when the female layed it. It's right front limb is missing I was wondering if this has happened before to others I'm going to keep it and raise it to the best of my ability.

Attachments

• 20220310_155009.jpg
    20220310_155009.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220310_154957.jpg
    20220310_154957.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220310_154955.jpg
    20220310_154955.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 8

Redfoot mamma

Texas
Yeah left front I will have to get creative when it gets older. I'm thinking some type of device with a wheel to strap it on over the shell. Then I'd have to make several versions of it while it grows as it grows out of the old device. I was thinking the crack but maybe not I covered it in new skin I found a forum posting about that and set it in the incubator I never thought it would come out this way though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m, that's interesting. Just keep in mind, he doesn't know he's missing a leg.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yeah left front I will have to get creative when it gets older. I'm thinking some type of device with a wheel to strap it on over the shell. Then I'd have to make several versions of it while it grows as it grows out of the old device. I was thinking the crack but maybe not I covered it in new skin I found a forum posting about that and set it in the incubator I never thought it would come out this way though.
He won't know he's handicapped so he'll be fine...I had a 3 legged tort who's family dog had chew it's leg off. Maybe Y will remember the details...but we tried everything from a wheel to 1/2 pool ball. What worked the best was a furniture slide. But this little tort probably won't need anything, as he will only have known 3 legs...he will get along fine, as long as you do not treat him like he's handicapped. And be sure and let us know if you need help.

Redfoot mamma

Texas
Oh good to know so he may be alright without help. Thanks I'll keep an eye on the little one hopefully everything will go well.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Give him a chance to be all he can be. Then if he ends up actually needing help, you can step in. What a wonderful experience you are going to get to have.