Baby Sulcata Health Concerns

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Why is my baby Sulcata not opening his eyes and or just opening one??
welcome to the forum!
Your enclosure is in desperate need of a fix. You need to replace the sand mat with a substrate that holds humidity, which is essential for every tortoise. I'm gonna take a wild guess, and infer that you are using a compact uvb/uva build, and that is probably what is irritating his eyes. If you have one, it needs to be turned off immediately, and kept off.

It seems that you were given some false information about the care of tortoises. You've come to the right place. Please give these a read-
Beginner Mistakes

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0

https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

Your tortoise rubbing his eyes might also a side effect of the lack of humidity, but the compact bulb theory is more plausible.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, make sure you're not only feeding kale. Tortoises need a varied diet, and most of that can come strait from your yard. Please have a look under the diet and food section of the forum.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
The UVB and UVA are two different lamps, I'm going out right now to get a UVB that doesn't coil and I have been using Spagnum Moss to hold moisture along with Misting

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The UVB and UVA are two different lamps, I'm going out right now to get a UVB that doesn't coil and I have been using Spagnum Moss to hold moisture along with Misting

Misting isn't enough without a proper closed enclosure that has substrate that holds humidity. The sand mat needs to be replaced with eco earth, or Orchid bard, or something similar. Please turn the coil/compact bulbs off immediately.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Don't use those two anymore. I would suggest getting the long light because it seems to last a lot longer than anything else.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
IMG_0030.jpg
Does he look healthy? (I know not feed him watermelon often just doing it for rehydration for the first time and I know not to feed him steadily on Kale, I was just looking for a decent source of phosphorus)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I could be wrong, but I think he may be pyramiding. You see how each of his scutes are lifted up? It could just be normal growth though. Maybe @Tom could help.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If he is, he's young enough so that if you get it more humid it will disappear for the most part.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
Is there any reason he would be pushing himself into a corner even when there are hideouts and only his basking light is on?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Pyramiding is not at all caused by food. Pyramiding is almost 100 percent caused by lack of humidity. That is some more false information that was passed around online. And by the looks of your enclosure, which can't hold humidity at all without an absorbent substrate, that's what's happening.