Baby sulcata help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi there,

Someone emailed me through a friend regarding her tortoise and I really don't know how to help her. This is the email pasted:

"I have a one year old that I bought from a guy on craigslist. He has mistreated it. He didn't have any heat on it or any ultraviolet light on it. It won't eat. I can't afford to take it to the vet. I am afraid I am just watching it die. I have bought a aquarium for it. I try to hand feed it. It just won't eat. I have grown quite attached to it. Do you have any ideas who I could give it too. Thanks"

I could try to take care of it but I don't have a clue as to where to start. I know the lack of uv light is a ginormous no bueno but perhaps maybe the little guy isn't used to the food she's giving him? I'm still waiting on her to reply back but if any of you think you may know whats wrong with him please let me know. I thought of maybe recommending her to the az herpetological society but I'm not sure what they'll do to a sick little sulcata :(

Please let me know. Thanks very much.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
filbert, have her register here so we can walk her through the correct care for her tortoise.
if she can't do that, i'd recommend finding a local herp rescue/tortoise club etc where they can foster the animal and hopefully adopt it out when it's healthy.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your in AZ to??? you can give her my email [email protected], tell her to email me and I will help! also tell her to log on here, so once he is better she will know what to do with him. More then likely he probabley needs to see the vet so he can get a boost of food, and make sure he doesn't have RI or something from being w/o lights and warmth. Otherwise she can call the pheonix herpological society and see if they can take him in.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Very cool of you to offer to help her. I'm sure if she logs in here she can get some help. It sounds as if some may be on the way from the replies so far posted. If her tort is too cold, it wont eat as he/she will need heat to metabolize the food. Plus not feeling well or having a respiratory or other problem will cause it not to eat. I had to force feed mine for a brief period before his antibiotic shots kicked in and he started to eat on his own. He had a pretty extensive infection when I got him. But that should not be done without the advice of a qualified vet. I used baby food equivalent to his diet and absent of vitamin A.

If for some reason she is unable to get help, unable to get him/her to a vet, or cannot get him/her to a club or an organization that can help, then as a LAST resort try to see if a reputable pet store could take her in. A vet also may take it in and adopt it out to someone who would be a suitable parent. A pet store may at the very least have the contacts and supplies needed to get the help and care it needs. This I do say again is a very last resort that is.

Otherwise with some $$ help, maybe she can get the little guy up and healthy. She could even get him set up right, but that said a commitment like this means more $$ down the line. I know that sounds bad, but it is a fact. Just to get the equipment and supplies needed will be some out of pocket cost. There will most likely be more vet visits down the line for this and that, (just like a child) and additional costs she may not have even began to consider as it grows larger and becomes more of a commitment.

I wish her well and you have done well to post your issue here. I hope it works out, but having a tort is a huge commitment that she may have the love in her heart for, but not the resources in the pocket at this time.

Filbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks very much for your help. I've emailed her and let her know about the forum and also all the replies I've gotten so far but I haven't heard back from her yet. It's great to know there's a bunch of people on this forum looking to help :)

Thanks again and I hope the little guy will be okay.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Let us know if you hear anything from her and how he's doing. I hope it works out for the little guy.

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
I hope you hear from her and she registers. I know i've got extra supplies around the house, so if she registered maybe whoever else has stuff and would like to mail them to her, that would be nice!
Poor little guy :( It sounds like the first thing for sure is heating him up to get him going again!

Status
Not open for further replies.