baby sulcata is really sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrreptila

5 Year Member
i never said i was going to get another one i asked what could i do if i were to get another one later on that doesn't mean I'm going to get another one right now i not some cruel person who forgets about one thing and go get another like nothing happen i did make i stew but not with the liquid vit because they did not sell around were i live i boiled some carrots and squash and pumpkin and added some calcium and i let him soak in it for 20 Min's and also i do have every thing i need foe a tort i have a powersun MVB bulb if you didn't know it lets out UVA/UVB and its better then a tube and lamp combo i have reptical which is the brand of calcium i buy i have a 3ftx2ftx7in tub for him i also have a 50 gallon glass tank wich is what i had him in before the tub for bedding i had organic soil/sand mix with orchard grass hay on the cool side then i switched him to damp paper towel two days ago i had to hides one on the cool side one on the warm the one on the warm was his humid hide i had a water dish and his basking spot stayed between 90-95 on the the cool side it was 75-80 and at night i never let the temp go below 65 before he was sick i feed him orchard grass hay and dandelions and other mixed greens when he got sick i feed him kale,mustered greens,dandelions,Romain lettuce, red leave lettuce,colored greens, because he would not eat the hay look at my set up tell what i was doing wrongP1010216.JPGP1010223.JPGP1010224.JPG

maggie3fan by posting that you were basically trying to say that i knew nothing about my tort that i got it maybe because i wanted to and that i did not know anything about it well to tell you if that's what you be live then sorry your died wrong because i did months of research before i got him i new what i needed to buy and what i needed to do i just did not have a vet

Last edited by a moderator:

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I personally dont see anything wrong with the enclosure. I would be giving him Cod liver oil drops in his eyes(this will help alot). The slimy stuff in the eyes can be from a URI or from what it sounds like vitamin A deficancy. You can buy the gel tabs and poke them with a needle and sqeeze one drop in his eyes. The humidity is that in a hide or just the relative air humidity through out the whole enclosure? He may have a URI because although they need humidity they dont need it all the time. Especially if it not sucluded to one area like a hide.

Thats why they have hide or in the wild they crap and pee in their burrows and stroll around in it. So they basically control that themselves. I dont think that damp paper towels is the way to go either. Your original bedding was perfect. I would use the instead for now orchard grass for the entire bedding and just make sure you soak him once a day. Make a humid hide out of a small tupperware container with a sponge attached to the top and soak the sponge in warm water each day and he will go in and out of it throughout the day. Also i wouldnt let the temperature drop below 70 f at night and now more than ever keep it between 75-82 degrees to help his immune system. Or unfortunatley MBD like the others are saying. I wishyou the best and hope he pulls through but get him to the vet immediatley.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am sorry. I am having a very hard time understanding what you are trying to say, I cannot understand your typing, you need to use punctuation at least. Here's is what you said:

then what can i do next time to pervent this from happening again if i lose him he was my 1st tort

that tells me you are looking to get another tortoise. I offered you explicit instructions on how to feed your tortoise and you came right back asking how to feed your tortoise. And yet now you are telling me you did your research and you know how to care for your tortoise.
And by the way, every store no matter how remote sells baby food ie strained carrots, so that excuse doesn't wash with me, you also say that no store sells the vitamins, they are bird vitamins, most stores sell them. In my defense, I said nothing about not having a Vet. I even offered to help find you one. You are totally making up excuses.
I will back out of this thread because I don't want to fight with you. I tried to give you good advice and I don't deserve to be talked to this way.

mrreptila

5 Year Member
You could not have help me find a vet because i live in Washington dc in the USA. I don't know were you live and you most of you told me to get this liquid vitamin thing that is for birds they don't sell that here in Washington DC. Im not making any thing up i came hear to help my baby tort not to get in a fight with anyone ether. You told me to fan greens in front of him and that he will eat. How will he eat if he cant opean his eyes and ignores anything i try to feed him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
All pet stores sell liquid bird vitimins and here's a list of pet stores in Washington D.C.:

A.
Doggie Style
- www.doggiestylebakery.com - (202) 667-0595 - 5 reviews
B.
Pawticulars
- www.pawticulars.com - (202) 546-7387 - 7 reviews
C.
Big Bad Woof
- www.thebigbadwoof.com - (202) 291-2404 - 13 reviews
D.
Chateau Animaux
- www.chateau-animaux.com - (202) 544-8710 - 7 reviews
E.
Foer's Pharmacy
- www.foerspharmacy.net - (202) 775-4400 - More
F.
Pet Essentials DC
- greenpets.blogspot.com - (202) 986-7907 - 1 review
G.
Pet Food Institute
- www.petfoodinstitute.org - (202) 367-1120 - More
H.
Petco
- www.petco.com - (202) 686-0901 - 1 review
I.
The Dog Shop
- www.dogshopdc.com - (202) 337-3647 - 2 reviews
J.
Bonnie's Dog & Cat Grooming
- www.healthydogstore.com - (202) 548-0044

and here are two reptile vets in the D.C. area:

Alfred Montgomery
1422 Varnum St NW
WDC 20011

Lynn Cabaniss, Dr. Laporta
Collins Animal Hosp
1808 Wisconsin Ave NW
WDC 20007
202-659-8830

You can even buy bird vitamins online. Just do a GOOGLE search for bird vitamins and you get many many hits.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
mrreptila said:
You could not have help me find a vet because i live in Washington dc in the USA. I don't know were you live

It does not matter where we live. There are resources available that allow us to help you find a vet. I could find a vet for someone in South Africa, if they are willing to take the help.

I am sorry too for what you are going through, but there is NOTHING more that we can do for you.

Your tortoise needs a vet, or the odds are it will die.

I also gave you a diagnosis based on what you described, and in the very next post you asked what I though was wrong. I had already told you.

I wish you luck.

Here is another of those vets that it is impossible for us to find.

CLINIC'S NAME: Kable Animal Hospital

VET'S NAME: Rose E. Walter, DVM

ADDRESS: 3807 Zenton St. NW, Washington

PHONE NUMBER: (410) 857-7576

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Also REAL sun is best. make sure your next one, if you chose to do so, gets it.
And since hatchlings are so hard I would suggest adopting an older one. They live a LONG time, so getting one that is 10 years old is still young. Contact a local Rescue and fill out thier paperwork.
You are not the first one this has happened to and you wont be the last. We/You may never know why it happened to yours. Did you do something wrong? Or was this baby just not a strong one? Do your homework, look at your set up, and learn from others.
good luck!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just wondering how your baby is doing. Were you able to get him to a vet?
Good luck
Patsy

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I am sorry. I am having a very hard time understanding what you are trying to say, I cannot understand your typing, you need to use punctuation at least. Here's is what you said:

then what can i do next time to pervent this from happening again if i lose him he was my 1st tort

that tells me you are looking to get another tortoise. I offered you explicit instructions on how to feed your tortoise and you came right back asking how to feed your tortoise. And yet now you are telling me you did your research and you know how to care for your tortoise.
And by the way, every store no matter how remote sells baby food ie strained carrots, so that excuse doesn't wash with me, you also say that no store sells the vitamins, they are bird vitamins, most stores sell them. In my defense, I said nothing about not having a Vet. I even offered to help find you one. You are totally making up excuses.
I will back out of this thread because I don't want to fight with you. I tried to give you good advice and I don't deserve to be talked to this way.

I don't know about other threads, but on this one you pretty much did attack her. I don't know you or her, just researching getting a tort. Seems to me that she did most things right. Like the other link said, some torts under exactly the same conditions just don't make it. Maybe it has a defect where it can't metabolize the calcium properly. Who knows. Even a vet at this point probably couldn't do more that a feeding tube and hope for the best.
It is amazing to me that so many of the long term tort owners seem to swear by sand. The people I have chatted with who do rescues say that sand is one of the #1 problems because of impaction.
I agree that you shouldn't have pets if you can't afford the vet bill, but even I have my limits on how much I am willing to spend at the vet.

twtraudio said:
I personally dont see anything wrong with the enclosure. I would be giving him Cod liver oil drops in his eyes(this will help alot). The slimy stuff in the eyes can be from a URI or from what it sounds like vitamin A deficancy. You can buy the gel tabs and poke them with a needle and sqeeze one drop in his eyes. The humidity is that in a hide or just the relative air humidity through out the whole enclosure? He may have a URI because although they need humidity they dont need it all the time. Especially if it not sucluded to one area like a hide.

Thats why they have hide or in the wild they crap and pee in their burrows and stroll around in it. So they basically control that themselves. I dont think that damp paper towels is the way to go either. Your original bedding was perfect. I would use the instead for now orchard grass for the entire bedding and just make sure you soak him once a day. Make a humid hide out of a small tupperware container with a sponge attached to the top and soak the sponge in warm water each day and he will go in and out of it throughout the day. Also i wouldnt let the temperature drop below 70 f at night and now more than ever keep it between 75-82 degrees to help his immune system. Or unfortunatley MBD like the others are saying. I wishyou the best and hope he pulls through but get him to the vet immediatley.

I'd be careful with vit. A. Apparently a lot of tort's get OD'd with it at the vet.

Laura said:
Also REAL sun is best. make sure your next one, if you chose to do so, gets it.
And since hatchlings are so hard I would suggest adopting an older one. They live a LONG time, so getting one that is 10 years old is still young. Contact a local Rescue and fill out thier paperwork.
You are not the first one this has happened to and you wont be the last. We/You may never know why it happened to yours. Did you do something wrong? Or was this baby just not a strong one? Do your homework, look at your set up, and learn from others.
good luck!

and how would you suggest getting sun in january in D.C.? Considering it's only 2 months old.

mrreptila

5 Year Member
:( sorry but turtuga his name passed on my bday jan the 9th it was a very sad day for me

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mrreptila said:
:( sorry but turtuga his name passed on my bday jan the 9th it was a very sad day for me

Oh, man...that really sucks! I'm so very sorry.

Yvonne

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm sorry to here that, you and I did what we could to rescue our torts. But when ever you choose to get another tort I bet you will be better prepared, oh and if you do take out your next tort in the sun keep him out there as long as possible because 20-30 minutes a day won't be enough(some websites say 20-30/day). My vet told me that even though its cloudy the suns rays still penetrate so you can keep your tort outside when the sun doesnt appear to be out. Good luck with your next tort and even though it sounds wrong don't worry about what others say about getting another tort, when mine died the day before Thanksgiving I wanted another tort but I decided to wait a little while to cope with the loss of the one that died and then the reptile convention happened and this hyper little tort captured my heart and reminded me of the one that passed away so I bought him lol. Now I'm better prepared and that new tort is as healthy as ever.

And Happy Be-lated Birthday by the way lol

mrreptila

5 Year Member
thanks to every one for your help it has been realy hard geting over what happen :( and i wont be geting another tort for a while and if i do il make sure its a manegable one then a slucata even tho i love them to death

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah just take your time, I had my sulcata for about 2months before he passed away and he was the 1st one i picked(i bought 2, the other one is currently sick and fighting it), and when he passed away I cried and I felt so horrible for several days, to this day I still think about him. Sulcatas are manageable but wasn't he your 1st one?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Dont start with a hatchling. They are hard to raise right soemtimes. Go thru a rescue and get one that is on its way to adulthood with a good start..lots of them in need.
happy belated. bday. sorry for the loss

mrreptila

5 Year Member
dcoolguy68 said:
Yeah just take your time, I had my sulcata for about 2months before he passed away and he was the 1st one i picked(i bought 2, the other one is currently sick and fighting it), and when he passed away I cried and I felt so horrible for several days, to this day I still think about him. Sulcatas are manageable but wasn't he your 1st one?

yea he was my 1st one

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah I'm sure that not everyone's very 1st Sulcata passed away, it happens so when you're ready you can get another baby or an older one, but either way I'm sure you'll be a lot more prepared the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.