Baby sulcata isn't eating!!!!

ChrisO

Thank you everyone for the advice, I appreciate it a lot. I will definitely get the lighting stuff today!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Welcome Chris and good luck with your new baby! These folks know what they're talking about so you can trust what they say! Biggest thing I saw was heating and humidity, those are crucial for Sulcatas, especially youngsters. You need a non coiled UVB bulb, a basking light and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to keep the tank warm at night. The top needs to be completed covered to hold in the heat and humidity. A screen top is best and you can just put the lights directly on the screen, cover the other areas in foil. His basking spot should be 95-100 degrees and coolest spot should be 80. Get a temp controller for the CHE and set the temp to 80-85 and that way at night if your tank drops below those temps it will kick on your CHE to warm the tank. I apologize if this stuff was already mentioned but it's very important. Check out the caresheet like others have said and keep the forum updated regularly and youll get plenty of help I promise!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Welcome Chris and good luck with your new baby! These folks know what they're talking about so you can trust what they say! Biggest thing I saw was heating and humidity, those are crucial for Sulcatas, especially youngsters. You need a non coiled UVB bulb, a basking light and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to keep the tank warm at night. The top needs to be completed covered to hold in the heat and humidity. A screen top is best and you can just put the lights directly on the screen, cover the other areas in foil. His basking spot should be 95-100 degrees and coolest spot should be 80. Get a temp controller for the CHE and set the temp to 80-85 and that way at night if your tank drops below those temps it will kick on your CHE to warm the tank. I apologize if this stuff was already mentioned but it's very important. Check out the caresheet like others have said and keep the forum updated regularly and youll get plenty of help I promise!
No the screen isn't best, it filters the UV. You can cut out the holes in the screen, small so the lights and heat emitter don't fall in, but the screen is not a good idea unless it's a quick fix until something else can be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You need night heat still. A ceramic heater emitter is probably your best option.

As Sarah has said, you will still need a CHE controlled by a thermostat to regulate your day and night overall ambient temperatures. It takes some tweaking, but once you cover the enclosure and get a CHE regulated by a thermostat and sensor, all will be good for a long time.

ChrisO

Ok I covered the top of cage with aluminum foil, cut a hole in the screen for the basking,heat and uvb light bulb. I also dampened the substrate, I put little man under the light, he laid there awhile and started moving and his eyes were actually open!

ChrisO

The basking spot thermostat reads like 112, is that good? The cool side reads around 85!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The basking spot thermostat reads like 112, is that good? The cool side reads around 85!
That 160 watt bulb could be exchanged for a 80 to 100 watt bulb or find a way to raise the current one a little

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife and I purchased this little guy a few months back! When we bought him he had his eyes open, was eating, and very active! At first we had him in the same tank as our baby red footed tortoise, but switched him to his own tank since then! I have the light housing that has the uvb and heat source together!his basking spot is around 80 85 degrees, he has a hut for cooling off! He has a water dish also! He has stopped eating,barely moves around and eyes are shut! We took him to vet recently, and was concerned that his shell was extremely soft, so he gave us liquid calcium, and soak him in v8 juice 3 times a day!! Please help, I don't want to lose the little guy!!

Please take a few minutes and read these. Everything is laid out and explained in these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

ChrisO

I think my little guy has turned for the worse, I've got a basking light/uvb, with has the temp at like 95 to 100. The rest of tank is 85, I've soaked the substrate, at one point he was a little more active but the last day or so, he is alive but is very still almost lifeless. Idk what else I can do, I've taken him to the vet

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think my little guy has turned for the worse, I've got a basking light/uvb, with has the temp at like 95 to 100. The rest of tank is 85, I've soaked the substrate, at one point he was a little more active but the last day or so, he is alive but is very still almost lifeless. Idk what else I can do, I've taken him to the vet
Are you still doing the V8 juice soaks?

ChrisO

Well I have an update on my lil guy, he passed away last night, as I am taking this kinda hard because I considered the little guy like a part of the family, I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore, I am sure gonna miss the little guy, I'm kind of beating myself up because I feel I let him down!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Very sad to hear, please accept my condolences