Baby sulcata jaw problem! What's going on?!

Nicole edwards

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
My baby sulcata is about 7-8 months old and I have had him for 4 months. It seems to look like there is something eating away one side of his jaw possibly? He is eating perfectly normal and growing but this issue has gotten worse quickly lately. I can tell that it bothers him because he constantly rubs the side of his mouth with his front leg. I have photos attached to help explain! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! image.pngimage.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My best guess would be an infection of some sort.

Where are you? How is this baby being housed? Dry or humid?

I notice that there is not much growth for his age. Do you know what is going on with that? Did he have a dry start?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Generally people are hesitant to take their torts to the vet, but it may be warranted in this case, that cannot be comfortable. If you let us know where you are located we can try to help you find a vet who is worth their salt and wont waste your money.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nicole:

There's something wrong with both sides of his mouth. Can you open it and see inside? I'm wondering if he's got mouth rot. A trip to the vet certainly is in order. We won't be able to help you with this one.

Also, your baby looks quite dry. Are you following the instructions of our care sheet pinned at the top of the Sulcata section?

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
My best guess would be an infection of some sort.

Where are you? How is this baby being housed? Dry or humid?

I notice that there is not much growth for his age. Do you know what is going on with that? Did he have a dry start?

He was started dry but I finally got him healthy from that his housing now is humid

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Generally people are hesitant to take their torts to the vet, but it may be warranted in this case, that cannot be comfortable. If you let us know where you are located we can try to help you find a vet who is worth their salt and wont waste your money.

I am located in north Mississippi

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Hi Nicole:

There's something wrong with both sides of his mouth. Can you open it and see inside? I'm wondering if he's got mouth rot. A trip to the vet certainly is in order. We won't be able to help you with this one.

Also, your baby looks quite dry. Are you following the instructions of our care sheet pinned at the top of the Sulcata section?

I looked up mouth rot and it looks like the inside has white stuff in it on the pictures but, his doesn't. I'm following all of the instructions on the care sheet including the 15 minute soak twice a day. I have started to feed him tortoise food from the pet store soaked so it will be soft because he stopped eating greens. Could it be the moist food drying on his mouth and causing infection maybe?

Kori5

Take him to the vet, this looks serious. Don't guess. Looks like skin rot/infection to me.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Not likely to be shell rot. it appears that the tortoise may have a jaw misalignment. Very problematic. The infection of the area is probably secondary. What is unfortunate here is that the tortoise will continue to do poorly. Antibiotics may be of minimal effect, but worth a try. Be prepared for the worst. Speaking from experience, I had a baby Burmese star with a similar issue. Died. That sucked.

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Not likely to be shell rot. it appears that the tortoise may have a jaw misalignment. Very problematic. The infection of the area is probably secondary. What is unfortunate here is that the tortoise will continue to do poorly. Antibiotics may be of minimal effect, but worth a try. Be prepared for the worst. Speaking from experience, I had a baby Burmese star with a similar issue. Died. That sucked.

I got him to a vet yesterday and got him on antibiotics liquid form and an ointment and he is already doing much better!!

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Just a little update on Rocky. He has gained 100 grams in the past month and a half and is extremely healthy and happy now! Didn't think I was going to have a good ending but I had an awesome doctor treat him! View attachment 165430

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Looks great compared to your original pic. Is his jaw even now? He looks better (humid) than at first. Poor baby. You're doing a great job with him!

Nicole edwards

Mississippi
Looks great compared to your original pic. Is his jaw even now? He looks better (humid) than at first. Poor baby. You're doing a great job with him!
He actually lost a small piece of meat from inside his jaw during the process but you can barely even tell it now. :D