Baby Sulcata not eating/ eyes closed

Pookied35

Location (City and/or State)
Sunrise, fl
Good evening,
I am new to the tortoise forum, my name is Dily
And my baby Sulcata is Knuckles. 😊
Knuckles was given to my husband and we are now taking are of this sweet baby. We don’t know too much about Sulcata, we are hoping to get a little help.
I am very concerned with my baby Sulcata, she hasn’t been eating and is hard for her to keep her eyes open…. She’s been sleeping a lot.
Im feeding her Romain lettuce. I also bought pellets….I keep fresh water dish, I also soak her every other day for about 20 min. Luke warm water.

I have a uvb light and a basking/heat lamp.
I am very worried she is not eating
Thanks you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good evening,
I am new to the tortoise forum, my name is Dily
And my baby Sulcata is Knuckles. 😊
Knuckles was given to my husband and we are now taking are of this sweet baby. We don’t know too much about Sulcata, we are hoping to get a little help.
I am very concerned with my baby Sulcata, she hasn’t been eating and is hard for her to keep her eyes open…. She’s been sleeping a lot.
Im feeding her Romain lettuce. I also bought pellets….I keep fresh water dish, I also soak her every other day for about 20 min. Luke warm water.

I have a uvb light and a basking/heat lamp.
I am very worried she is not eating
Thanks you
Hello and welcome. We need to know a bit more about how you are housing the baby to be able to offer insight.

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
What type of UV lamp?

The symptoms you describe are typical when they are not kept warm enough, or when they are not started and housed correctly.

Here is some info for you, and there is heating and lighting break down plus a link to a sulcata care sheet with the correct info at the bottom.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! I see you are in Sunrise in Florida. That's far South and beautiful for tortoises. I'm in Jamaica and have friends and relatives in Florida. Tom is an expert and will give you the best help and advice for your little one to thrive in your care. Pictures would be useful if you can post some of your tortoise and the enclosure. Thanks!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, all the up to date information is on this forum.
Don't surf the web finding info that sounds like it will work for you. Stay here where members have raised tortoises of many different breeds. You will get all your answers here.
Pictures of your enclosure would be great. It is best for us to see how your setup is. Much easier than you trying to explain to us.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey. How is she? Can we see some pictures? Do you still need help?

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
Hello and welcome. We need to know a bit more about how you are housing the baby to be able to offer insight.

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
What type of UV lamp?

The symptoms you describe are typical when they are not kept warm enough, or when they are not started and housed correctly.

Here is some info for you, and there is heating and lighting break down plus a link to a sulcata care sheet with the correct info at the bottom.

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What type of UV lamp?

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What type of UV lamp?

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What type of UV lamp?

What size enclosure?
What substrate?
What type of UV lamp?

Good morning Tom…..
Thank you for answering so quickly…
The little tortoise was given to us in a glass tank.
I put
She h
Welcome, all the up to date information is on this forum.
Don't surf the web finding info that sounds like it will work for you. Stay here where members have raised tortoises of many different breeds. You will get all your answers here.
Pictures of your enclosure would be great. It is best for us to see how your setup is. Much easier than you trying to explain to us.
Thank you so much, yes it is a little difficult when you don’t know too much about these Ute little babies…
She’s still not eating , I also got advice from a Vet, she is recommending syringe feeding her squash or banana baby food

Attachments

• D55CE7EF-2EFB-4210-97F0-7C40AF179979.jpeg
    D55CE7EF-2EFB-4210-97F0-7C40AF179979.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good morning Tom…..
Thank you for answering so quickly…
The little tortoise was given to us in a glass tank.
I put
She h

Thank you so much, yes it is a little difficult when you don’t know too much about these Ute little babies…
She’s still not eating , I also got advice from a Vet, she is recommending syringe feeding her squash or banana baby food
We will help you if you'll take the time to answer those previous questions. There is not necessarily anything wrong with a glass tank. The internet is full of bad info and so are vets. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school and the vast majority of them do not understand what is going on with tortoises. If you want this tortoise to live, let us help you. ASAP.

Syringe feeding is the WRONG way to go. Number one: An inexperienced person is likely to aspirate and drown the baby. Number two: If the animal isn't eating, there is a reason. Forcing food into them when they cannot handle or process it will lead to a slow painful death. Number three: Sulcatas should never be fed fruit. It is bad for even large healthy animals. A little baby that is already compromised can't handle the sugars and digestive upset.

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
We will help you if you'll take the time to answer those previous questions. There is not necessarily anything wrong with a glass tank. The internet is full of bad info and so are vets. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school and the vast majority of them do not understand what is going on with tortoises. If you want this tortoise to live, let us help you. ASAP.

Syringe feeding is the WRONG way to go. Number one: An inexperienced person is likely to aspirate and drown the baby. Number two: If the animal isn't eating, there is a reason. Forcing food into them when they cannot handle or process it will lead to a slow painful death. Number three: Sulcatas should never be fed fruit. It is bad for even large healthy animals. A little baby that is already compromised can't handle the sugars and digestive upset.
Hi Tom,
Here are the lights that I’m using for my baby Sulcata, I will attach the pic.
Also the temp. Are between 85-90 in the day
And at night I keep a night heat lamp temp is between 75-78
In the cool of enclosure is around 75
Humidity is between 50 - 60 %
And the substrate is fur bark and top soil.
I’m trying to feed her romaine lettuce, I’m soaking Timothy hay, and I keep a water dish at all times…
I’m also soaking her about 20 min with warm water.

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
These are the light bulbs

Attachments

• 6F3130CE-006B-47A4-BAA2-B7DAA39BD8D8.jpeg
    6F3130CE-006B-47A4-BAA2-B7DAA39BD8D8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's just so wrong when people are trying so hard and love their pets, but have been given all the wrong and deadly information and end up with a dead pet and a broken heart. Dear Pookied35, you have come to the right place, with the right people to help you. Please, please just try to follow the expert information here for the proper light, diet, temperatures etc. Tom is totally correct and has vast experience and he CARES! This place is your very best and probably only chance to save this little one's life.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
Here are the lights that I’m using for my baby Sulcata, I will attach the pic.
Also the temp. Are between 85-90 in the day
And at night I keep a night heat lamp temp is between 75-78
In the cool of enclosure is around 75
Humidity is between 50 - 60 %
And the substrate is fur bark and top soil.
I’m trying to feed her romaine lettuce, I’m soaking Timothy hay, and I keep a water dish at all times…
I’m also soaking her about 20 min with warm water.
You've got the wrong lights, and it should never drop below 80 in the enclosure at any time. Those coil type bulbs sometimes burn their eyes and can cause the problem you are having. You should turn it off ASAP and not use it anymore. Your tortoise can get UV form the sun, or from the right type of UV bulb.

Humidity needs to be over 80% at all times.

Fir bark is great, but soil should never be used for tortoise substrate.

Hay is for adults. It is not suitable for babies. Lettuce is not a good tortoise food.

All the correct info you need is in the link I left in post number two. That thread is full of general tortoise info, and there is a care sheet for sulcatas specifically at the bottom, along with a heating and lighting breakdown. Read through that a couple of times, and then come back with lots of questions. We will try to help you.

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
It's just so wrong when people are trying so hard and love their pets, but have been given all the wrong and deadly information and end up with a dead pet and a broken heart. Dear Pookied35, you have come to the right place, with the right people to help you. Please, please just try to follow the expert information here for the proper light, diet, temperatures etc. Tom is totally correct and has vast experience and he CARES! This place is your very best and probably only chance to save this little one's life.
Thank you very much, I will wait and hope I can find the right and correct information for my little baby…..
I thought that by contacting an online vet, that might be a good idea, I see that maybe was not.
I will wait for Tom with his experience I’m sure and hopeful that my baby will survive.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you very much, I will wait and hope I can find the right and correct information for my little baby…..
I thought that by contacting an online vet, that might be a good idea, I see that maybe was not.
I will wait for Tom with his experience I’m sure and hopeful that my baby will survive.
With all the advice you've been given thus far from everyone, I have no doubt your baby will thrive. I've followed Tom's advice pretty religiously since my Ghost was a baby and he's turned out to be a healthy 5-year-oldghost.jpg wrecking machine. lol

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
Hey. How is she? Can we see some pictures? Do you still need help?
Hey, she is still the same, she does not want to eat anything, and keeps her eyes closed, I soaked her twice today, I also changed the lighting as I was suggested….
I hope that she’ll be ok…
Do you know how long they can go without eating? I know they should eat everyday, but she’s not.
Thanks for asking .☺

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When soaking, do you ever see her stick her nose in the water and drink?If you look at the throat if there is any drinking. You can see her swallowing. If so you can mix the soaking water with baby food puree. Use squash or carrot baby food. I prefer squash but if you can only find carrot go ahead and use it. You are trying to promote eating. Get her out in the sun if temps make it possible. Stay with her in the yard and don't take your eyes off of her. She just needs about a hr 3 times a week and that can supply enough UVB. Does she eat any of the romaine or pellets? Maybe add a little water to the pellets just to soften them up but not mushy. It doesn't take much water. Romaine as a regular diet isn't the best,but right now you are trying to get her to eat. Is she a newborn, like about 2 months old when you got her?

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
When soaking, do you ever see her stick her nose in the water and drink?If you look at the throat if there is any drinking. You can see her swallowing. If so you can mix the soaking water with baby food puree. Use squash or carrot baby food. I prefer squash but if you can only find carrot go ahead and use it. You are trying to promote eating. Get her out in the sun if temps make it possible. Stay with her in the yard and don't take your eyes off of her. She just needs about a hr 3 times a week and that can supply enough UVB. Does she eat any of the romaine or pellets? Maybe add a little water to the pellets just to soften them up but not mushy. It doesn't take much water. Romaine as a regular diet isn't the best,but right now you are trying to get her to eat. Is she a newborn, like about 2 months old when you got her?
I do see her drink water when I soak her, I will get the squash purée for babies and try that.
She is not eating the pellets or the romaine lettuce either.
She was given to us, she’s a baby, she must be 2 or 3 months.
Here is a pic of her7EC9537C-C0A1-4582-A1DE-C101FDE34B4B.jpeg

cpl1307

Lancashire
These are the light bulbs
Don't worry. A week ago I had all the same questions and within a week both Tom and wellington have helped me Immensely and my whole set up is changed and my Horsefield as never been happier! 😃 your definitely in the right place!! Before and after!!

Attachments

• 20230324_183904.jpg
    20230324_183904.jpg
    966.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230329_134315.jpg
    20230329_134315.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Pookied35

Sunrise, fl
Don't worry. A week ago I had all the same questions and within a week both Tom and wellington have helped me Immensely and my whole set up is changed and my Horsefield as never been happier! 😃 your definitely in the right place!! Before and after!!
Good afternoon
Here’s an update on my baby Sulcata. I soaked her this morning and I added to the water some squash purée and she seem to drink a little bit of that water. I’m hoping that she was able to get something in her system. I will do the same later on today in her soak. I just pray that she gets better and thank you for all the great advice.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Good afternoon
Here’s an update on my baby Sulcata. I soaked her this morning and I added to the water some squash purée and she seem to drink a little bit of that water. I’m hoping that she was able to get something in her system. I will do the same later on today in her soak. I just pray that she gets better and thank you for all the great advice.
I'm sure she will be fine. Increase bathing to twice a day as even if she doesn't drink, she will
Naturally asorb water. Tortoises can suck water up through their rectum. It's worth a try