Baby Sulcata not eating it's calcium

E46Joshh

5 Year Member
Just got a baby Sulcata baby a couple days ago and he doesn't touch his cuttlebone. He eats good but when I put powder calcium or cuttlebone on his food he doesn't eat it and avoids it. Any ideas ?(heard you can put stuff on the cuttlebones and he'll eat it but forgot what) also previous owner didnt know how old he is anyone wanna take a guess. (Also how much should I expect for a baby sulcata to eat and how many times a day) hope you guys answer all my questions thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378920848.744214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
He is a tiny little guy. Mine won't touch the stuff. There is another thread that has some good suggestions. You may be giving him enough in his diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're using too much. It doesn't taste good. Just take a pinch of the powder between your index finger and your thumb and sprinkle it over the food. You can do this two or three times a week. You may ever consider mixing it up so it's not on the top of the food.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My russian hate, and I mean haaaatttttees calcium. I put it on her treats: pumkin, squash, raddichio etc and she eats it. I feed my sulcata two times a day. First thing in the morning and then again about 5pm. I would guess your little one at 2-3 months old. But that's just a guess!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My russians avoids calcium like THE PLAGUE. He will go to great lengths. He will do ANYTHING. :mad:
Anyway, the key is disguise it very small, unnoticeable amounts. Try sticking sime down inside a treat, like a tomatoe, and he won't even know it's there ;)