Baby Sulcata Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervyn

5 Year Member
I recently bought a 3 months old sulcata. His movements is just like any other healthy tortoises. I have tried soaking him 2 times a day with warm water, vitamins and baby food. But nothing seems to works for him. i have never seen him eat or poop since day 1 i bought till now and its been nearly 2 weeks.And his still going strong and active just that his shell is slighly soft.He has minimum of 3hrs of sun everyday if not i have MVB and CHE in his tank. I usually switch on the CHE from 6pm to 6am daily and now is summer for my side. I hardly on the MVB as i always sun him. What could be the problem ? All my other baby tortoises are doing well eating well accept him. I kept him seprately from the rest.

IM keeping at temp day time 33degree and night I switch on the CHE which temp about 35degree.One fine day I' caught him eating poop.The poop wasn't from him its from another tortoise which I house him together with my sulcata, and its only house for.a day just to see maybe my sulcata wants company. But in the end I separated bother of them.He has not been eating since day 1 and that's about 2weeks already. I usually soak him twice a day with multi vitamins vita sol and baby food squash for.about an hour.But still doesn't show.interest in eating. But one thing that amused me was,his movements . Walk normal here and there in his play pen. So I presume that he's doing fine just that not eating and his shell is quite squashy.His menu are spring mix, hay, marzuri , T/Rex pellets but he just sniff and walk away. Brought him to the vet a week ago, went for xray scan, the vet told me that he still had food in his stomach.but he cannot poop that's why he's not eating. And there is no sign of urates that's what the vet claims and no sign of worms inside as he use somesome kind of thing to shaft in his anus.I'm getting worried day by day and its been 2 weeks since I bought him home till now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you, as it sounds like your doing just about everything you can. I would deff keep him separated and housed by himself. Keep him warm and see what others say. BTW, he may be eating his own poop. That's what they will sometimes do. Good luck, hope all turns out well for the both of you.

mervyn

5 Year Member
2012-08-28 02.54.34.png
wellington said:
I can't help you, as it sounds like your doing just about everything you can. I would deff keep him separated and housed by himself. Keep him warm and see what others say. BTW, he may be eating his own poop. That's what they will sometimes do. Good luck, hope all turns out well for the both of you.

Thanks mate. Thats the best i can do for him now. Do you think is too much for him as i sun him from afternoon till evening. About 6hours of sunlight but he has sbelter. The sun now is real hot as its summer.

Is he a pure Sulcata species?

Last edited by a moderator:

Urtle

5 Year Member
You should read up on Toms care sheet for baby sulcatas and follow that 100%. There must be something wrong, I hope someone here can better help with your situation.

In the meantime make sure the temps are not too hot and not too cold and that he is well hydrated by soaking him maybe minimum 30 min a day in luke warm water. This is the time my baby usually will pee or poop.

Also, I would stay away from the vet. Just my opinion. I have yet to hear good stories from tortoises visiting the vet.

mervyn

5 Year Member
Urtle said:
You should read up on Toms care sheet for baby sulcatas and follow that 100%. There must be something wrong, I hope someone here can better help with your situation.

In the meantime make sure the temps are not too hot and not too cold and that he is well hydrated by soaking him maybe minimum 30 min a day in luke warm water. This is the time my baby usually will pee or poop.

Also, I would stay away from the vet. Just my opinion. I have yet to hear good stories from tortoises visiting the vet.

Yesterday I gave him some Mineral Oil and today he Poop some Urates.
Do I still need to give him mineral oil or when to stop.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I guess depending on the vet but I've had very good luck with mine. He specializes in tortoises though. But if things go bad, it's MY opinion that you should definitely see a reputable vet that knows tortoises.

mervyn

5 Year Member
Is this urates?

Attachments

• 2012-09-16 00.03.27.png
    2012-09-16 00.03.27.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 48

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
You can try to purée his food, I had the same problem with my baby tort and after I did that she went back to her normal eating habits.

mervyn

5 Year Member
remitort071312 said:
You can try to purée his food, I had the same problem with my baby tort and after I did that she went back to her normal eating habits.

Good idea! I'll blend up his meals for the next few days.
How long did your tortoise get back to her easing habits.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
mervyn said:

I'd say three days, she had chip on her bottom jaw and couldnt eat as well because of it, but once the chip fell off she was eating like a horse. (the chip was not her egg tooth.)

mervyn

5 Year Member
remitort071312 said:
mervyn said:

I'd say three days, she had chip on her bottom jaw and couldnt eat as well because of it, but once the chip fell off she was eating like a horse. (the chip was not her egg tooth.)

Good to hear that she's eating. :) hopefully he will recover fast.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Never mind. I was just going to say I don't see my eat yet the food is almost gone by the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.