Baby sulcata not growing - please help

Torts4Maylin

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
Well I wanted to post an update for anyone who may be interested.

Tortuga is still alive and fighting. I've been waiting for the day to come where I check on him and he's gone. But every day he seems to be a little stronger than before.

Aside from pedialyte/water soaks, he's been getting carrot baby food/water soaks too. I was force feeding him the pedialyte and water with a syringe, and started force feeding the baby food carrot and water as well.

During his worst, I recall no bowl movements, urination, and hardly any movement, and keeping his eyes closed at all times. The past few days he's opened his eyes; each day a little longer than the prior.

Tonight he was walking around his carrot bath more than I've seen him, and kept his eyes open for a good while. I even put him back in his home where he produced a bowl movement, and he peed (on me!); his eyes were open and he was trying to walk around some. I finally put him to bed in his humid hide in his quarantined enclosure.

His shell is still extremely soft and flimsy. He still keeps his eyes closed most times and sleeps most times as well. I haven't seen him eat on his own since last Thursday. Even with these very minor victories, I am very much aware that he is likely too small and weak to pull through. Even with this awareness, I will not stop doing any and everything I can do to help him. He's gone on a lot longer than I anticipated, and I am very surprised to see these minor improvements.

Here's to hoping he becomes my little miracle tortoise baby. If he does make it, I suppose stranger things have happened. But all I can do is continue this strict regimen and hope for the best. Thanks to those who replied and offered advice! [emoji173]️[emoji217]

Bee62

Germany
My fingers are crossed for your little baby tort.
Fight as long there is hope, the little one fights too.

Torts4Maylin

Dallas, TX
It is with a heavy heart to announce that he did not make it. I did everything I possibly could with vet visits and taking advice from trusted sources and long-time keepers. Based off the tons of research I did regarding his symptoms I came to the conclusion that he was dehydrated. What I don't understand is how a tortoise can get dehydrated when he's soaked every day (twice a day when his condition worsened) and had access to fresh water 24/7 while maintaining humidity levels as best I could. It may not have been an even 80% level all the time but I did keep it up pretty good at 60-80, usually. There were a few times it went to 50%, but I don't think the humidity level dropping to 50% a few times would be the reason he died. I just don't know what it was though I wish I did so I know not to do it again. ☹️

Bee62

Germany
It is with a heavy heart to announce that he did not make it. I did everything I possibly could with vet visits and taking advice from trusted sources and long-time keepers. Based off the tons of research I did regarding his symptoms I came to the conclusion that he was dehydrated. What I don't understand is how a tortoise can get dehydrated when he's soaked every day (twice a day when his condition worsened) and had access to fresh water 24/7 while maintaining humidity levels as best I could. It may not have been an even 80% level all the time but I did keep it up pretty good at 60-80, usually. There were a few times it went to 50%, but I don't think the humidity level dropping to 50% a few times would be the reason he died. I just don't know what it was though I wish I did so I know not to do it again. ☹️
I am so sorry that your little guy don`t survived. My deep and honest condolence.
It was not your fault that he didn`t made it, that is my opinion. The damage of the kidneys was already done by the breeder, no matter what he told you. I don`t believe it.
RIP little Tortuga.

You wrote you have another hatchling. How is his health ? Are both from the same breeder ?

Torts4Maylin

Dallas, TX
The other hatchling had a few ups and downs but is stable eating and somewhat active for now. Still hasn't gained hardly any weight since we got him and he had a bit of a mouth rot issue I've been giving him antibiotics for. But he seems in good spirits more active than he once was and eating more than before but still not putting on the weight. [emoji53] thanks for the concern you two.

Bee62

Germany
The other hatchling had a few ups and downs but is stable eating and somewhat active for now. Still hasn't gained hardly any weight since we got him and he had a bit of a mouth rot issue I've been giving him antibiotics for. But he seems in good spirits more active than he once was and eating more than before but still not putting on the weight. [emoji53] thanks for the concern you two.
Gaining no weight is a bad sign. How old is he and how much does he weight ?

Bee62

Germany
About 5-6 mos and 41g which I know is very low. ☹️
Oh, that is really very low.
I am sorry to hear of your problems with your hatchlings because you are such a good "tort-mummy". Mayby you have to start with a new hatchling from a breeder that started them in humid and warm conditions.
I have 4 young sullies too. They are 15 months old and the biggest of them weights 1100 gram.

Bambam1989

East Texas
About 5-6 mos and 41g which I know is very low. ☹️
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with bee62 that it sounds like something went wrong with your torts care before you received them.
My lil sulcata weighed 53grams at only 6weeks.

Torts4Maylin

Dallas, TX
Yeah I've already 'brought him back' on two occasions and he's still fighting so hopefully he can pull through. At this point he seems ok but then again I thought the other guy seemed ok. I also have two leopards and they seem to be thriving and active so I can't help but wonder if they were a 'bad batch'.

Thanks guys for your support [emoji173]️