AE50BC98-7D42-4FC6-B69B-A3B7D64AFD68.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I am in the UK so brands and prices are different

A plain reflector basking spot bulb is like this

A Mercury Vapour Bulb is like this Quite expensive, but it does two jobs. The UVB output fails long before the bulb blows, so you will have to replace it, even though it appears to work, every 6-9months.

A tube UVB looks like this this. They come in varying lengths as suits your enclosure and the mount you buy.

A Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) which must be used with a thermostat and keeps temperature up at night when the lights go off. It looks like this

A reptile lamp stand can be bought in different sizes and looks like this

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You shouldn't be feeding on top of the substrate. Your tort may have a blockage. You need to be feeding on a clean surface, like a plate. I don't think that substrate is retaining any humidity either, and without a top, spraying it is doing nothing. You should also stop feeding spinach, and kale can only be fed every now and then.

Henrym1111

Florida
Update: She ate a piece of grass while her left eye open but refuses to open her other eye

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just bought a reptisun ubv light

Are you still using this compact bulb? If so, turn it off and leave it off. It is likely causing the eye problem.

Your tort will be fine for a few days while you get the a safe UVB bulb.

If it’s gone already, hopefully the eyes will both recover given enough time.

Henrym1111

Florida
Huuuuuuuuuuuge update guys!!! She opened both eyes just now and she was awake do i put her outside to see if she’d eat and she did! She ate for about 10 minutes i dont know if she is fully recovered or not, but if she isn’t could you guys still be available? You all were a huge help but i dont know if she is fully recovered so please stay available.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Update: She ate a piece of grass while her left eye open but refuses to open her other eye

That's really good! Please make sure you take her outside soon. That should help her immensely, giving her the heat and uvb she needs. Doing this will hopefully give her more of an appetite, as well as help harden up her shell.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Huuuuuuuuuuuge update guys!!! She opened both eyes just now and she was awake do i put her outside to see if she’d eat and she did! She ate for about 10 minutes i dont know if she is fully recovered or not, but if she isn’t could you guys still be available? You all were a huge help but i dont know if she is fully recovered so please stay available.
That's great news! Did you make all the changes that were recommended, including the correct UVB bulb? A baby is better off kept in her temperature and humidity controlled enclosure until she gets a little bigger. Then an hour or less of supervised outside time would be fine. I'm sorry you are getting conflicting advice, but I truly believe she will be healthier this way.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

We’ll be here. Subject to timezones that is :)

It’s bedtime here in the UK :D

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That's really good! Please make sure you take her outside soon. That should help her immensely, giving her the heat and uvb she needs. Doing this will hopefully give her more of an appetite, as well as help harden up her shell.

Whoops! For some reason, tortoise forum wasn't showing me any other replies before I posted this lol. Oh well!

Henrym1111

Florida
Hey guys i can feel my sulcata’s shell is getting softer. Good or bad. Is it metabolic bone disease.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hey guys i can feel my sulcata’s shell is getting softer. Good or bad. Is it metabolic bone disease.

That's really bad, but I don't know if it's mbd. There's probably a good chance it is. You need to get her to a vet asap.