Baby sulcata, possible heat stroke?

SavannaBananaa

I've been lurking these forums for a few days. We just got a baby sulcata four days ago. When he first got here he was fine and frisky, and he ate some kale from our garden. We only had a heat lamp at the time and not a UVB lamp. My mom bought him from an exotic pet shop here in vegas. After coming home from my doctors appointment, I assumed he was just tired and resting. The next day however, he really didn't move much. And it's been like that since then. He hasn't eaten and I haven't seen him poop or pee since he has been here. I tried soaking him a few times on the past few days. He moves around in the water. I also sat outside with him in my hands for about ten, fifteen minutes mostly in the shade to try and get some of the sun rays he needed. Yesterday he didn't move at all unless you pick him up. It took him a while to open his eyes.
Today I took him to the pet shop to see of they could tell me what was wrong with him. The guy began poking my sulcata around and pushed his head into his shell and said "it looks like you fried his brain"

I haven't seen him foam at the mouth at all or anything either. My mom didn't buy a temperature gauge so I don't know the temps, but I know it couldn't have been over 100. We also have shade available in his 20 gallon tank. I believe the lamp is a 75 watt. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to see what they say- a vet that the pet shop recommended. My parents are convinced it's something else and I would just like to see what you guys think. I've been terribly upset and worried for the past few days and I'm already super attached to him Even though he isn't mine and we have only had him for a few days. His name is Goliath by the way.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Well the vet is a really good start. In the meantime, keep soaking. Also your habitat needs some work. It is much too small for how fast sulcatas grow. Babys also like to hide as they are natural prey. Tape some paper along the bottom of your tank ( or get a really big rubber made tote better yet) so he can't see out. Helps make him feel safe. Also ditch that water bowl. Much to hard for a baby to climb into and is a flip hazard. A terra cotta plant saucer works great and are cheap. Also get rid of the statue, even though its really neat btw, and add some tort safe plants such as hostas, spider plants or plant some grass. Your baby will also need humidity. It looks like you are keeping him dry. Spray down his tank a couple times a day and add some moss to his log for him to hide in. It should be warm and moist, not wet.

You have cometo the right place, I can not tell you how much this site and its people have helped me and my baby sulcata. Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am trying to not sound mean, o forgive me if I do. Without a temp gauge, I don't think you can reliably say " you know it has not been over 100". Heat stroke though is different than frying his brain. If he did over heat, then he may have suffered brain damage. Get a temp gauge, first thing, then you will know how hot it gets. Glass can heat up quickly, and can cause damage. Wait for the vet diagnosis, but I would make some changes, less statue, more plants, and hides.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Savanna! I hope your little tortoise is ok. Take the vet's advice, and in the meantime, soak him daily in warm water.

SavannaBananaa

I am trying to not sound mean, o forgive me if I do. Without a temp gauge, I don't think you can reliably say " you know it has not been over 100". Heat stroke though is different than frying his brain. If he did over heat, then he may have suffered brain damage. Get a temp gauge, first thing, then you will know how hot it gets. Glass can heat up quickly, and can cause damage. Wait for the vet diagnosis, but I would make some changes, less statue, more plants, and hides.
We also have 2 Russian tortoises (adults) who are in the same room with a slightly bigger cage and the same light. Last time I checked it was 85 in the tank. Their cage does have a heat gauge.

Also, I have asked my parents to get one. I'm not the one with the money here.

Durhamstyle

So what happened with your tortoise? Sorry , hope he pushed thru.

My tortoise is names Goliath too!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Agree.

That stature may cause the little sulcata to flip over if s/he climb on. You really need more room for the torts in that already very small tank.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope your tort is okay. Now, the sully and the Russians all need a larger enclosure. If you have two Russians in an enclosure just a little bigger then the Sullies, they are in trouble. They will beat each other up, or they are so stressed they won't thrive. A couple large plastic tote boxes joined together is not that expensive. Put two together for the Sully and maybe put two together for each Russian and separate them before one gets hurt.