Baby Sulcata Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone,

I had a question about my baby Sulcata named Nova. For now he is in a 30 Gallon Aquarium I know that is small but its temporary until April when I build him a large enclosure. The temps range from 75 - 110 in the aquarium as I have a basking spot and heat pad.

I spray one part of the substrate once or twice a day to keep a humid spot in case its too dry, and I have a shallow dish with water. I don't think theres an issue with too humid because the air humidity never gets above 30%. I don't spray too much as hes in the aquarium so I don't want to make the air too humid. I have been feeding him damp alfalfa pellets, carrots, timothy hay, occasionaly romain lettuce for a treat, a damp grassland tortoise food (ecotherm grassland tortoise yummies which consists of 3 foods, grass mix (low protien high fibre with vitamins, calcium and moisture), Prickly pear cactus puree, and Cactus fruit mixed with hibiscus). HE has been eating every day and poops once or twice a day. Every day I soak him in warm water for about 10-15 mins and I always see him drink. He has a UV Compact Fluorescent bulb on 13-14 hours a day. His substrate is the Plantation soil stuff that comes in a brick and turns into a lot when you soak it. On top of the substrate I have some timothy hay as he likes to play around with it and make a mess. So far I think i'm doing ok but would like to know if anyone has any advice or if im doing something really wrong.

So now that you have the info here is the questions

1) I see he has some peeling skin under his mouth and a bit on his neck. I tried searching to see if this was normal, but I have owned other Reptiles and they always did so I didnt think it was anything to be alarmed about. Its small flaky bits of skin. Is this Ok?

2) I read all over that I have to give him lots of calcium. I have Rep-Cal calcium with Vit-D (phosphorus free). I sprinkle a tiny pinch on his food every day. Is this enough? Is it possible to give too much calcium? I can't seem to find anywhere that says how much I should use.

3) I had some forest moss in his habitat, the stuff that also comes in a brick that you soak, but I noticed him eating it once in a while. Is this ok for him or should I be getting all this stuff out of there?

4) sometimes when I pick him up he pees. I was under the impression reptiles dont really pee, ive seen urates come out before but this is clear liquid. Anything to be concerned about?

Thanks for your time and consideration. I just want to make sure he is healthy and give him the best life possible.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
The peeling skin is okay,The calcium is okay a few times a week, I would toss the moss and when he pees that is okay, he is probably a little nervous and he will get to know you.

The one thing I would not feed him are the alfalfa pellets, too much protien.Also make sure you have a UVB bulb, very important.It should be 5.0 UVB or higher.

Keep an eye on your temp, you do not want to bake him.It is easy to do with a young tort.Everything else seems fine and keep up the soaks everyday or atleast a few times a week.Good luck and welcome to the forum.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
For a young growing tortoise, you need to keep using the calcium at every feeding.

Danny

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Becareful with the D3 it can be bad for them if you give them too much, other than that good luck.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Be careful if your heating pad is the one that sticks to the bottom of the tank. I had to take mine off because it got too hot in certain areas and it could have burnt Dale our tortoise. I didn't want to take any chances. Candy

dannomite

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick responses much appreciated. I have a UVB 5.0 bulb but it is a 23Watt Compact Fluorescent (coiled up). I've noticed on some posts that this can be bad for them? Should I be getting rid of this I wouldn't want to blind him...its been about a month since he's been under it could this be bad?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The Diet you have him on is not the best.. Somone already mentioned not to feed Alfalfa Pellets.. Good Advice.
He really need natural sunshine when at all possible. But not in a tank outside.. seperate enclosure.. Kiddy Pool with a wire top to keep critters out...
Go to the store and buy Spring Mix or baby greens. And READ READ READ the other posts here.. Lots of good info and what others have done right and wrong..
The heat pad.. If he can sit directly on it.. get rid of it. if its under the tank ( see info on tanks) and there is subtrate between it and him.. probably ok.. Little guys get hot and cook very easily. Dehydration is a real problem. And see Yvonnes post about Soft Shell...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.