Baby Sulcata sleeps a lot lately

amadi_47

Location (City and/or State)
Selangor, Malaysia
Hello all,

I just started to become a new baby sulcata parent. He is about one month to 2 months old.
He is always active during 10 am till 3 pm. then he sleeps a bit till 4-5pm.
He usually roams his indoor 2.5' by 3.5' enclosure but lately he burrows into the substrate and sleeps quite a lot, Especially after eating.
We lived in Malaysia, Southeast Asia. It's getting quite rainy and humid but usually sunny.
I worry that my sully is becoming sick. He also sometimes got minor eye swelling. I suspect due to the coconut dust got into his eyes when he digs and burrows. I also worry he consumed the substrate. I sometimes saw him nibbling on it.

Also the temps are as follows:

basking temp : 39~41 degree C
Cool side Temp : 31~35 degree C

Substrate used : combination of exoterra plantation soil and coco husk. it is 2 inch deep.

I feed him Zoomed grassland pellets grounded with mustard greens, hibiscus leaves and sometimes flower, cactus pads especially when is is hot outside, curly kale, mulberry leaves.

I feed him in the morning 7 am before going to work and in the late afternoon at 6 pm after work.

Please advise

Thanks in advance

Rllawson777

Glen Allen va
I stopped using the coco husk Bc that could be what’s making his eyes swell and babies normally do sleep a lot all babies do dog babies human babies and tortoise babys get you some reptibark instead of the coco husk you can also put some leaves around the habitat so he will walk around and forige for his food

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
You can also use fine grade orchid bark. Make sure tht whatever you use does not have toxins, like pine is very bad, cedar also has toxins.
Will do, thanks for the heads up on the pine and cedar type bark. Really appreciated it. Currently my sully is marching and pacing around as he used to. However, I am invested in changing the substrate.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Will do, thanks for the heads up on the pine and cedar type bark. Really appreciated it. Currently my sully is marching and pacing around as he used to. However, I am invested in changing the substrate.
Also please remember that he IS a baby and just like human babies they sleep a lot.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, do you soak your buddy in warm water for at least 1/2hr everyday?
Make the water deep enough so the level meets the top(carapace) and the bottom shell( plastron). It is a must. Be careful don't make the water to hot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

I just started to become a new baby sulcata parent. He is about one month to 2 months old.
He is always active during 10 am till 3 pm. then he sleeps a bit till 4-5pm.
He usually roams his indoor 2.5' by 3.5' enclosure but lately he burrows into the substrate and sleeps quite a lot, Especially after eating.
We lived in Malaysia, Southeast Asia. It's getting quite rainy and humid but usually sunny.
I worry that my sully is becoming sick. He also sometimes got minor eye swelling. I suspect due to the coconut dust got into his eyes when he digs and burrows. I also worry he consumed the substrate. I sometimes saw him nibbling on it.

Also the temps are as follows:

basking temp : 39~41 degree C
Cool side Temp : 31~35 degree C

Substrate used : combination of exoterra plantation soil and coco husk. it is 2 inch deep.

I feed him Zoomed grassland pellets grounded with mustard greens, hibiscus leaves and sometimes flower, cactus pads especially when is is hot outside, curly kale, mulberry leaves.

I feed him in the morning 7 am before going to work and in the late afternoon at 6 pm after work.

Please advise

Thanks in advance
Just as important as what you are currently doing is what was done with him before you got him. Was this baby started in a brooder box for 7-10 days? Soaked daily and kept in a warm humid enclosure? Kept mostly indoors?

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Just as important as what you are currently doing is what was done with him before you got him. Was this baby started in a brooder box for 7-10 days? Soaked daily and kept in a warm humid enclosure? Kept mostly indoors?
I can't say for sure, I got him from a reputable pet shop. He was in an indoor enclosure with his other siblings and has a uvb light source. They were kept in a temperature controlled room, as there were other type of tortoises in the room (in seperate enclosures)

Last edited:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Everyday would be better. If you could show us the enclosure, maybe we can give you some suggestions. For instance if you bought a UVB light from the pet store. Chances are it is the wrong one. There are some UVB lights that are ineffective and also can hurt the eyes of your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't say for sure, I got him from a reputable pet shop. He was in an indoor enclosure with his other siblings and has a uvb light source. They were kept in a temperature controlled room, as there were other type of tortoises in the room (in seperate enclosures)
Are you following this care sheet?

What does your tortoise weigh in grams? How often do you weigh it?

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Are you following this care sheet?

What does your tortoise weigh in grams? How often do you weigh it?
yes actually, I have been reading a lot of your post regarding sulcata care and diet in the past month. He is now 62 grams.

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Welcome, do you soak your buddy in warm water for at least 1/2hr everyday?
Make the water deep enough so the level meets the top(carapace) and the bottom shell( plastron). It is a must. Be careful don't make the water to hot.
Everyday would be better. If you could show us the enclosure, maybe we can give you some suggestions. For instance if you bought a UVB light from the pet store. Chances are it is the wrong one. There are some UVB lights that are ineffective and also can hurt the eyes of your tort.

yes, i will soak him daily. as for the lights, I used an MVB and A tube. I changed to. tubes when I ready cfb is harmful to their eyes from other threads in this forum. Thanks by the way

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
yes, i will soak him daily. as for the lights, I used an MVB and A tube. I changed to tubes when I know cfb is harmful to their eyes from other threads in this forum. Thanks by the way.

sorry to post multiple times, got errors in my previous reply

amadi_47

Selangor, Malaysia
Also I can only fine the coarse type repti bark here in Malaysia, I intend to buy the fine ground repti bark.

Would the coase type repti bark suffice?
I am just concern on the poor crawling ability of my baby sulcata once he is on a uneven and loose terrain. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
yes, i will soak him daily. as for the lights, I used an MVB and A tube. I changed to. tubes when I ready cfb is harmful to their eyes from other threads in this forum. Thanks by the way
Great ?