Baby Sulcata Soaking

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I read that everyone gets their tort to soak for 20-30 min and my baby tort only likes to stay in there for 5-10 min tops and he’s so restless just to get out even when the water is still warm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's okay, keep him in. It's what's best for him and he being a tortoise doesn't know that. He will most likely get used too it. Some don't, most do.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Also...don't warm the water...if it comes out of the tap too cold...let it sit to room temp. Lotsa 'mistakes' in their care that need to be rectified. Still working on the updated care sheet! Shouldn't be too much longer! Honestly, cold water is best...as long as they're in the sun!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I find soaks to be most successful when done first thing in the morning before the tort has warmed up properly.

Get the water temperature right and they’re far more likely to wallow and enjoy the warmth. :)

Use a large flat-bottomed bowl, like a washing up bowl. that they definitely cannot see over or through.

Marching round it encourages bowel movements so don’t worry if your still won’t lie back and enjoy.

Melis

Maryland
Also...don't warm the water...if it comes out of the tap too cold...let it sit to room temp. Lotsa 'mistakes' in their care that need to be rectified. Still working on the updated care sheet! Shouldn't be too much longer! Honestly, cold water is best...as long as they're in the sun!
This is the first I have read about using cold water. Can you elaborate please?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This is the first I have read about using cold water. Can you elaborate please?
I guess because I'm in a warmer climate...I'm not sympathetic to those keeping tortoises in areas that aren't condusive to their proper care. Under no circumstances should sulcata be housed under heat lamps or ceramic heat emitters. Those that get away with it...good for you! But it's not a good idea! Even if it's cold out...if there's sun...put them out for an hour! Even if it's cloudy put them out for a bit...diffused natural UV is better than artificial UV any day of the week