Baby Sulcata SQUEAKING!

Zeko

5 Year Member
how exactly do i messaure humidity? i just sort of spray the mulch until it looks damp and if you set the thermometer at 90*F it can go up to 100*F?

The temperature thermostat simply turns on and off the CHE to try and keep temperatures at your desired setting. It does its best. Which is why you need a good temperature gun to check the temperatures in and around the enclosure and adjust the thermostat to reach your desired setup.

They make digital humidity readers. Do not by the cheap ones that look like a dial.

Pet stores sell them, but I grab mine from home improvement stores. Usually used to measure outside humidity, they are water resistant and small. Easy to put inside the enclosure and move around to check humidity in all areas.

Zeko

5 Year Member

If you want to use this over the fluorescent tubes, then yes. However, this produces heat, which for a small 40 gal tank may be hard to regulate.

This is why I choose to use UVB florescent tube fixtures instead for my smaller tank setups. Very little heat is produced.

The larger the enclosure, the more I would be inclined to use the MVB bulbs, as the huge amount of heat they produce can spread, as opposed to cook.

Last edited:

Zeko

5 Year Member
wow this is getting more pricey than i thought :/

Yes. Tortoises are considered an exotic pet and require unique care.

Just wait till they get bigger and you need a HUGE setup.

Last edited:
Location (City and/or State)
high desert California
mostly romaine lettuce and spring time mix lettuce and zoo med natural grassland tort food but he doesnt like the grassland stuff much :/ do you have any recomondations? i heard alfalfa is good if i grow it

high desert California
im sorry i didnt see that :O no i dont really i have grass out front but my father has put grease and car soap and other things of that nature. i was thinking about growing my own but i live in the desert and that seems to be a bit of a task with dogs and chickens

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
im sorry i didnt see that :O no i dont really i have grass out front but my father has put grease and car soap and other things of that nature. i was thinking about growing my own but i live in the desert and that seems to be a bit of a task with dogs and chickens
yea you can buy some grass seeds at tortoise supply. remember grass is VERY important in there diet. they are a grazing species, there like cows.lol

Zeko

5 Year Member

Super easy to grow grass (Wheat grass is best) in a tub inside your house. Any home improvement Florescent tube will work to grow it (The cheap kind).