Baby Sulcata tortoises JAW FELL OFF PLEASE HELP

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi guys just an update she is still alive and doing a bit better. It makes since that she could have herpes because she did come from Florida. I got her from myturtlestore.com. She has been needing a feeding tube to eat but I am way to worried about putting it down her windpipe so I just use the tube to squirt the food in her mouth and she usually swallows it by her self. I only have to give her a shot once every three days and that’s good cus I think the shots make her limbs sore cus she starts to walk all funny for a day after. I’m gunna post a picture of her soon so I can get some of your opinions on how she looks.
Herpes is a virus. Antibiotics won't help. The symptoms can look like a respiratory infection. You might want to ask your vet to test for herpes, and if it is positive, give her antiviral medication.

artthug

Fargo
Just lube up the tube with small amount of mineral oil and let the torts reflexes guide it. I would contact the seller about a partial refund. If you see any yellow/green scabbing in the mouth then it pretty much confirmed. The sad part is, it hardly ever gets better but if you have the time and patience the it's worth a try. Just keep this guy away from other torts.

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
Here is an update of how she’s been looking. Her jaw is Looking better but still looks raw and soft when she opens her mouth so she is unable to eat on her own. Even if she wanted too. I’m still putting food out for her but she just isn’t interested in eating it. She has some kind of growth on her head which is preventing her from being able to open her right eye. Is that herpes? Anyway she’s soaking in a baby carrot food bath in the pics.

artthug

Fargo
You could also get yourself a zester like a really fine grater and grate some zucchini or cucumber maybe some greens till it is a fine mush. That would allow this little guy to forgo the trouble of biting but allow it to scoop food up on its own.

Bee62

Germany
Here is an update of how she’s been looking. Her jaw is Looking better but still looks raw and soft when she opens her mouth so she is unable to eat on her own. Even if she wanted too. I’m still putting food out for her but she just isn’t interested in eating it. She has some kind of growth on her head which is preventing her from being able to open her right eye. Is that herpes? Anyway she’s soaking in a baby carrot food bath in the pics.
It could be a sign of herpes, the thing that grows on her head and eye. It looks bad. Herpes can be shown in a blood test or in the spit of the tort. To be sure if it is herpes or not I would make such a test.
Poor poor baby. It is good that you take so much care of her. Thank you for doing that.:):<3:

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
It could be a sign of herpes, the thing that grows on her head and eye. It looks bad. Herpes can be shown in a blood test or in the spit of the tort. To be sure if it is herpes or not I would make such a test.
Poor poor baby. It is good that you take so much care of her. Thank you for doing that.:):<3:

Thank you I knew getting a tortoise would be a lot of work so I’m doing everything I can possibly think of to keep this one healthy. I have never had a tortoise before so all of your suggestions and tip are super helpful.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you I knew getting a tortoise would be a lot of work so I’m doing everything I can possibly think of to keep this one healthy. I have never had a tortoise before so all of your suggestions and tip are super helpful.
So sorry that your baby tortoise is so sick. When a tortoise baby is healthy it will make not much work. I hope that your baby is doing better soon.

Mrherbygeorge

Manchester
Does anyone have any advice for keeping him warm during the visit. It’s getting cold here in Reno.
Poor thing.

Are we still talking about the same tortoise here? Only it was a she and now it’s about him. I’m confused, sorry I really do hope it’s ok though. What did the vet say it could be?

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl. When I got him/Her on line I selected a female for an extra 3$ but honestly I think I got ripped off cus I’m pretty sure u can’t tell when they’re this young [emoji28]

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
Anyway you guys, she is doing sooo much better! She started eating on her own again! And she is moving around and is active again! I’m still gunna take her into the vet once more to get her a follow up but I have high hopes for the future. She just got her final shot of antibiotics today. I’ll post a pic tonight when I get off work. She still can open her eye yet but i think it just needs some time.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl. When I got him/Her on line I selected a female for an extra 3$ but honestly I think I got ripped off cus I’m pretty sure u can’t tell when they’re this young [emoji28]
They can only be incubated at certain temps to make it more likely to get a male or female. At that age I don't think there is anyway of knowing. Until it gets much larger there is no way to tell because their shells change so much.

Riley ann

chino

You can incubate them at higher or lower temperatures

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
So little update. She has been eating a bit more and more every day. I’ve been making sure everyday that her tank is humid and warm enough. She still can’t open her right eye but I’m confident that it will hear up sooner or later. She had no more shots to take so that makes me happy cus I know they were painful. I’m taking her to the vet for a follow up soonish. She still has a bit of a soft undershell. I’ll keep u updated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy this product either online or maybe your pet store carries it:

eye ointment b.jpg

Put a dab onto a Q-tip and gently rub in onto the eyelid and then massage it in a little - gently now.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You can buy this product either online or maybe your pet store carries it:

View attachment 224140

Put a dab onto a Q-tip and gently rub in onto the eyelid and then massage it in a little - gently now.

Is that the same thing as the turtle eye drops you can buy at petsmart?

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
IMG_1211.jpg
Hey guys here is a little update of what she’s lookin like now. She is doing a million times better ! She’s eating like a pig and runnin actively around her terrarium again! Thank you all so so much for all of the advice and support. I could not have don’t it without you guys seeing that there are not any vets who specialize in sulcata tortoises in Nevada. I’m still planning on taking her in this week so I’ll keep you updated!