Baby Sulcata wont eat grass...

JoshGoldberg

my baby sulcata wont eat grass at all! She wanders around till she finds a weed and grazes on that but no grass what so ever.... How do I get her to eat grass?!

Myroli

my baby sulcata wont eat grass at all! She wanders around till she finds a weed and grazes on that but no grass what so ever.... How do I get her to eat grass?!
I'm not an expert like a lot of the other people here are but I've heard some babies won't eat grass, they normally start to eat it and hay as they get older

JoshGoldberg

I'm not an expert like a lot of the other people here are but I've heard some babies won't eat grass, they normally start to eat it and hay as they get older
Then do I keep feeding her weeds?! She doesn't eat them all the time and sometimes she is very picky and wont eat all day even if I let her roam :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Just like children, they often won't eat what is good for them. Babies usually take a loooooong time to start eating hay and grass, continue to offer, they will sooner or later start eating it. Try st. augusrine grass if you can, my litttle guy loves the stuff.

JoshGoldberg

Just like children, they often won't eat what is good for them. Babies usually take a loooooong time to start eating hay and grass, continue to offer, they will sooner or later start eating it. Try st. augusrine grass if you can, my litttle guy loves the stuff.
Thank you :D I'll have my parents take me to Home Depot soon :D

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Make sure you are dicing it pretty small for a wee one. I like to doing a small bed of mixed greens (weeds/grasses, etc all diced pretty fine) and crumble a moist Mazuri pellet on top like a topping. Keep offering it to her and she will get the hang of it!

JoshGoldberg

Make sure you are dicing it pretty small for a wee one. I like to doing a small bed of mixed greens (weeds/grasses, etc all diced pretty fine) and crumble a moist Mazuri pellet on top like a topping. Keep offering it to her and she will get the hang of it!
She doesn't like food thats cut up, Its really weird but she wont eat it unless it is green (so no flowers) and its big, i cut up some grass and put it inside her "grape leaf burrito" which is a grape leaf with dandelion leaves inside, and she just ate the "burrito" and ate as little grass as possible

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
hmmmm now I am hungry.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
She doesn't like food thats cut up, Its really weird but she wont eat it unless it is green (so no flowers) and its big, i cut up some grass and put it inside her "grape leaf burrito" which is a grape leaf with dandelion leaves inside, and she just ate the "burrito" and ate as little grass as possible

Well, then - lay it all on a plate and don't burrito it. What she doesn't like today, she may very well like tomorrow. Keep offering it. They are like toddlers in regards to feeding. One day they will love something, the next ignore it.

JoshGoldberg

Well, then - lay it all on a plate and don't burrito it. What she doesn't like today, she may very well like tomorrow. Keep offering it. They are like toddlers in regards to feeding. One day they will love something, the next ignore it.
thank you :D

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
thank you :D

Anytime! That is what everyone is for. This forum has saved my bacon many times this past two years. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web so you are in the right place. The search engine here is fantastic and will give you many healthy ideas on what to offer her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take the food she likes and put it in a pile. Wet it with a sprayer (you need one of these sprayers anyway for the shell...) and mix the water up well.

Go to the store and get one of those little organic wheat grass plots. If your grocery store doesn't have it, then a pet store will. They only cost about two bucks. This is tender young freshly sprouted grass. Hole the plot over your pre-wetted food and snip a couple of snips with scissors. Just snip the very tips so the grass pieces will be tiny. Keep the plot in a window sill and water as needed. It will last for weeks.

Mix the grass clippings with the other food thoroughly and feed it to your tortoise.

Keep doing this every day. It might takes weeks or months, but eventually your tortoise will learn that grass is food. This should have been done when he was a baby before you got him, but not all breeders offer top notch service...

JoshGoldberg

Take the food she likes and put it in a pile. Wet it with a sprayer (you need one of these sprayers anyway for the shell...) and mix the water up well.

Go to the store and get one of those little organic wheat grass plots. If your grocery store doesn't have it, then a pet store will. They only cost about two bucks. This is tender young freshly sprouted grass. Hole the plot over your pre-wetted food and snip a couple of snips with scissors. Just snip the very tips so the grass pieces will be tiny. Keep the plot in a window sill and water as needed. It will last for weeks.

Mix the grass clippings with the other food thoroughly and feed it to your tortoise.

Keep doing this every day. It might takes weeks or months, but eventually your tortoise will learn that grass is food. This should have been done when he was a baby before you got him, but not all breeders offer top notch service...
Thank you :D