Baby sulcata wont eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My two month baby tort won't eat any thing but Romaine lettuce, she was probably spoiled off of it when I got her, I know how important grasses and weeds are to their diet I've tried only offering her fresh grasses and weeds daily and take her outside daily for an hour or so but she still refuses to eat, after a week I give in and let her eat lettuce. Any suggestions?!

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Have you tried cactus pads mine did not eat anything but romaine lettuce but I offered cactus and he loved it now he eats anything !:)

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Try misting her and her weeds and grasses. Also try chopping up the grass and weeds for her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chop up the other things she should be eating and mix it in with chopped up lettuce. Then spritz it with water. The water helps it all stick together and she can't pick and choose so easily. Then gradually take away the lettuce so there is on,y the better stuff. Then you can always add a little bit of lettuce back in or don't have to eliminate it completely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To elaborate a little more...
Finely mince up about 5-10 % grasses and the correct weeds, and 90-95% romaine, spray it with water and mix it all up very well.

Gradually over a period of several weeks up the ratio of the good stuff. Keep mixing in new thing in very small amounts. Adding some minced cactus (slimy mess, but great for them) or some Mazuri might help too.

Is it that she won't eat much romaine or anything, or is it that she pigs out on the romaine and won't touch anything else? Also, what sort of lighting and heating are you using? Coil type cfl UV bulb, per chance?

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
To elaborate a little more...
Finely mince up about 5-10 % grasses and the correct weeds, and 90-95% romaine, spray it with water and mix it all up very well.

Gradually over a period of several weeks up the ratio of the good stuff. Keep mixing in new thing in very small amounts. Adding some minced cactus (slimy mess, but great for them) or some Mazuri might help too.

Is it that she won't eat much romaine or anything, or is it that she pigs out on the romaine and won't touch anything else? Also, what sort of lighting and heating are you using? Coil type cfl UV bulb, per chance?

She will eat all day on the romaine and I'm using a Mvb bulb that provides both uv lighting and heat her basking area is a very good temp and so is her cool zone, I've tried the mixing thing with her and misting her and her food daily she still finds a way to pick through things, I'll have to find some cactus around me

leonardo the tmnt said:
Have you tried cactus pads mine did not eat anything but romaine lettuce but I offered cactus and he loved it now he eats anything !:)

I'm from Lima Ohio can I just buy a regular Cactus from a store to feed her? No sure he really have any around here in our stores, maybe I could buy some online?

RonHays said:
Try misting her and her weeds and grasses. Also try chopping up the grass and weeds for her.

Thanks so much for that info I also mist her and her food too, also soak her once daily for as long as she sits still, I don't want to over handle her and stress her out

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You really can't over handle her. Handle her often and she will get used to you and not stress out when you do come around. Yes, you can order on line. I live in Chicago and I even planted it in the ground to grow my own. I live in zone 5 and it is suppose to be hardy even to zone 4. Mine is growing really good. This winter will be the first winter, so will see how it goes. Get the spineless optunia cactus pads. They still have little hair like spines, but not as bad as the bigger spines. Try the Mazuri too if you haven't. You can order that online also, or some places that carry purina products might have it or can order it.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
wellington said:
You really can't over handle her. Handle her often and she will get used to you and not stress out when you do come around. Yes, you can order on line. I live in Chicago and I even planted it in the ground to grow my own. I live in zone 5 and it is suppose to be hardy even to zone 4. Mine is growing really good. This winter will be the first winter, so will see how it goes. Get the spineless optunia cactus pads. They still have little hair like spines, but not as bad as the bigger spines. Try the Mazuri too if you haven't. You can order that online also, or some places that carry purina products might have it or can order it.

Thank you so much your very helpful

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
hey what really works is get all the greens and put them in a blender with water :) they love it especially optunia!

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
AustinASU said:
hey what really works is get all the greens and put them in a blender with water :) they love it especially optunia!

Thanks I'll try that :)

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hey everyone thank you so much for all your advice :) I puréed the grasses and clovers in a blender mixed with a lil of the stuff she likes and she went to town on it! She def needs a bath now but im happy she ate a lil more healthy today I am jumping for joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.