Baby Sulcata

Happychicken

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus Ohio
Hello everyone! I just got a baby Sulcata tortoise here in southern California. I did a bunch of research and have a nice little nursery for him/her. While I’ve owned a bunch of aquatic turtles in the past, this is my first tortoise I’ve ever cared for. So my next big obstacle is that I’ll be moving to Columbus, Ohio in about a month. I know it’s a bit colder there than it is here so it’ll definitely take some readjustments to make sure my little guy stays happy and healthy. Does anybody have any experience in that area with taking care of this species?

D5639449-AC75-4B36-BA45-3402C59BC427.jpeg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm in Cincinnati and my sully does just fine here. We just have to do things a bit differently here than in SoCal.

Happychicken

Columbus Ohio
I'm in Cincinnati and my sully does just fine here. We just have to do things a bit differently here than in SoCal.
Thanks for replying! What all do you have to do exactly? I’ve researched a bit online but I feel like a person actually living in the area like you would have better insight.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for replying! What all do you have to do exactly? I’ve researched a bit online but I feel like a person actually living in the area like you would have better insight.

Ultimately, you just have to account for the climate change. If keeping outdoors, you are going to need a heated box for it. It gets very wet around here, so you will want to keep the outside box on higher ground to account for any standing, freezing water that might collect in the winter. Columbus has one disadvantage that Cincinnati does not... you will experience "lake effect" factors from Lake Erie. The winds generated during winter can be brutal at times. The fine line where the lake effect stuff stops is roughly an hour's drive south of Columbus.

Since you will have roughly 3-4 months of cold weather, you should also prepare for its "winter diet". I freezer-pak a lot of grass/weeds in the fall in preparation. Mine sully actually has his own deep freezer and refrigerator. lol. Some folks grow their own grass and weeds indoors. I did that at one point, but it got to be too much for me with my hectic work schedule. Good idea to become acquainted with your local grocers who carry a good variety of greens throughout the winter.

Happychicken

Columbus Ohio
Ultimately, you just have to account for the climate change. If keeping outdoors, you are going to need a heated box for it. It gets very wet around here, so you will want to keep the outside box on higher ground to account for any standing, freezing water that might collect in the winter. Columbus has one disadvantage that Cincinnati does not... you will experience "lake effect" factors from Lake Erie. The winds generated during winter can be brutal at times. The fine line where the lake effect stuff stops is roughly an hour's drive south of Columbus.

Since you will have roughly 3-4 months of cold weather, you should also prepare for its "winter diet". I freezer-pak a lot of grass/weeds in the fall in preparation. Mine sully actually has his own deep freezer and refrigerator. lol. Some folks grow their own grass and weeds indoors. I did that at one point, but it got to be too much for me with my hectic work schedule. Good idea to become acquainted with your local grocers who carry a good variety of greens throughout the winter.
Awesome thanks so much for the advice! How long have you had Sully there for?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome ,cute little sully you have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! I just got a baby Sulcata tortoise here in southern California. I did a bunch of research and have a nice little nursery for him/her. While I’ve owned a bunch of aquatic turtles in the past, this is my first tortoise I’ve ever cared for. So my next big obstacle is that I’ll be moving to Columbus, Ohio in about a month. I know it’s a bit colder there than it is here so it’ll definitely take some readjustments to make sure my little guy stays happy and healthy. Does anybody have any experience in that area with taking care of this species?
Hello and welcome.

Indoor care for a baby will be the same anywhere. Where you will run into obstacles is in a year or two when it starts getting big.

Most of the care info you find for sulcatas is wrong. Breeders, sellers, vets, and the books all repeat the same old, wrong info. Here is the correct care info: