Baby tort and a Newbie from Michigan

YvetteAimee

Hello all, my name is Yvette and I am a first time tort owner. I've never owned a tort before. I cared for a red ear'd slider as a teen since it was small and easily relocated. Now that I'm established in my own home, I've taken on the challenge of owning a tort. First, I got my tort from a pet store locally. We don't have much around my home town so getting one from a reputable breader is not an option unless I'm willing to take a chance with a delivery to my home. Second, I was aware of the life span and size of the tort before I brought it home. I am in this for the long haul. The info I have about tort care is from a pamphlet and online tort raising sites so this site is a God send. I have many questions.

Here is my tort:

tort.jpg

I haven't named it yet, but I was told it is a redfoot. It still has an "egg tooth"? And the underside still has some odd stuff, possibly from where the egg yolk sack was attached. The caretaker said that they don't usually have these torts. They only carry Greeks. They apparently got the wrong tort from their distributor.

I've not found any cherry heads that look like this so is the redfoot variety definitely what I have? I'm also concerend that it may have a sinus infection because its eyes are a little watery and it seemed to blow a bubble out of its nose. It was eating (I gave it clean baby spinach and a piece of strawberry) and it pooped for me today (it was not runny) and seemed to move around well outside. Perhaps I'm over reacting but pet stores don't always know what they're doing so I'm acting like a concerned momma.

I know it will be years before I can determine a gender for my tort so I'm asking for help with a name. Ninja turtles names, Yoda, Blastoise, Speedy, Squirt and Soup have all been brought to my attention. I was thinking Strawberry Torte? Or something that plays on its color?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Yvette and Welcome. Good to have you here.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
Welcome!! Glad you are here! There is a mountain of information here on the forum that you will appreciate greatly! ;)

Sounds like you have already been doing as much as possible! Great job!

I wish I could help you with what type of gorgeous tort you have but I'm sure someone will hop on with your answers shortly!

Good luck! We love photos please keep posting! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Yvette welcome to the TFO from AZ . My son lives in Saginaw is that close to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) @N2TORTS will be able to tell you what you have. He raises both RF and Cherry's. Another good site for you to check out info for your tort is the tortoiselibrary.com. It's one of our members sites.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I also have baby redfoots in Michigan! I just built my outdoor enclosure:) welcome! One of my babies looks a lot like yours!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402108429.092785.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Lil Red......
Yes that is the remainder of the egg tooth. It will eventually wear down to form part of the upper beak. For your species "type" can ya flip the little one over so we can see the plastron? (bottom belly)
For names .....I got one for ya .... Male= Azul
Female = Azula
Ya might wanna guess why I thought of those .....;)

GOOOOOOOOO REDS!

JD~:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
The bolwing a bubble out of the nose is something I would watch....could be resp infection. Follow the care sheet and make sure you keep warm enough. Eating is a good sign though. Cute baby :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Yvette!

YvetteAimee

Hello Yvette welcome to the TFO from AZ . My son lives in Saginaw is that close to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

I'm not too far from the Toledo, Ohio / Michigan border. Saginaw is about 2 hours away from me north. We make a yearly trek up to Holly, Mi for the Ren Fest but that is in Oakland county and is about as far north as we go yearly.

YvetteAimee

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I will be watching the nose closely. I'm not sure if the vets in the area can handle torts so fingers crossed it clears up. I will post images asap of the plastron and set up. The set up home is temp until I can get out Sat evening and get more for it. PLEASE offer suggestions! I want my baby with me and happy for a long time. My family and friends are having a field day trying to name it.

YvetteAimee

tort2.jpg

No torts were harmed in the making of this photo. It sleeps a lot. I'm wondering if the lighting is too high to keep it warm?

YvetteAimee

Very Nice Lil Red......
Yes that is the remainder of the egg tooth. It will eventually wear down to form part of the upper beak. For your species "type" can ya flip the little one over so we can see the plastron? (bottom belly)
For names .....I got one for ya .... Male= Azul
Female = Azula
Ya might wanna guess why I thought of those .....;)

GOOOOOOOOO REDS!

JD~:)
It's a firebender reference right? I had to ask my husband. I found an awesome fan art image of a Balrog and thought that would fit too. There is so much red and black on this little tort.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Couple tips: get a heat gun. Amazon has them, they are worth every cent. It is the best way to check temps where your baby is. Also, babies are shy. Tape a pc of paper along the bottom of your tank so he or she can not see out. I would switch the log out for a humid hide box. Get a plastic storage box fill it with moss & keep it warm and moist. Reds need high humidity. Those logs take up a lot of room and are climbing & flipping over probabilities.

I'm not too far from you in nothern ohio!