Baby Tort Type?

Ayada35

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
My little sibling got a tortoise a couple months ago at a pet store and was told the tortoise is a male an gonna grow to be about the same weight as a husky but then forgot what type of tort he is and I'm taking over his care now because I'm afraid for his health so I need to know how to figure out what type of tort he is so I can set up his enclosure correctly and comfortably for him, how do I figure out my Tortoises exact breed?

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
You have a lovely Sulcata tortoise, who will indeed grow quite large! Next, have a read of this care sheet which advises on how to keep this species successfully. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Tortoises bought from pet stores are usually dehydrated as they are commonly kept too dry, and in unsatisfactory conditions. Start giving your tort daily soaks for 20 mins or so in warm water (not hot) in a suitable sized tub, as this aids hydration, especially babies. Make sure the water is shallow, just high enough to cover the tail, and don't let the water get cold. Don't panic if the tort tries to get out, this is normal as long as its not due to the water being the wrong temp. Just keep an eye to make sure they're okay whilst soaking.

Welcome by the way! Everyone will be happy to answer any questions you have once you've read through the link above.

Ayada35

Oregon
FBFBE7F7-B71E-4457-9F5E-8A448D609260.jpeg4C2CD537-10A0-499F-87A2-C7A78D5FC7EF.jpeg
here’s two more pictures of him and the bottom of his shell, but thank you! I'll look at that page and yeah in that first picture he’s sitting in his water dish he likes doing that a lot but I learned about tort baths/soaks a few days ago and have been doin that the past two days an plan to continue, also I got a calcium and a multivitamin ultra fine powder but do you happen to know how often I should give him those?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pet store gave you all the wrong care info. You've got to get rid of that moss ASAP. It can kill him. The dry substrate can also kill him, albeit much more slowly through chronic dehydration.

Please read and follow the care sheet linked by PollyAda. And this one too:

Ayada35

Oregon
oh i’ve read that they need moss for humidity so I got sphagnum moss and dampened it an put it around the edges of his tank (pic below) is that not true?32E4BB7F-2194-4C3C-86CA-61F5440C5627.jpegA753A575-1FD3-40C0-94EC-C5D60B2586EB.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
oh i’ve read that they need moss for humidity so I got sphagnum moss and dampened it an put it around the edges of his tank (pic below) is that not true?View attachment 352706View attachment 352707
Please. Please read the linked threads.

No that is not true. And neither is most of the other stuff you've read or seen on YT.

They eat the moss and it will cause impaction. And you can't use damp moss on pelleted substrate as it will make it turn to mush and mold. Its all explained in the links...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
oh i’ve read that they need moss for humidity so I got sphagnum moss and dampened it an put it around the edges of his tank (pic below) is that not true?View attachment 352706View attachment 352707
If you don't want the poor tort to die then follow the care sheet that has been linked for you. Forget everything you read from other places.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ayada,

You have done nothing wrong......you just didn't know! It happens all the time here so please don't take offense. We know that you did what you thought was best....it's ok.

You don't know it yet but you have been given advice by some pretty talented folks....read & follow the sheets!

Welcome!!

jeff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You need to get rid of those rabbit pellets...they roll when a baby walks on them possibly causing "splay leg". Get rid of the pellets and get fine grade orchid bark...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Cute baby. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have with mine. You've received some really great advice here so far. I would go a step further and point out that sulcatas grow VERY quickly. Now is the time to start planning for a much larger indoor enclosure, as well as an outdoor enclosure when it reaches adequate size. The link to the care sheet that @PollyAda provided will help immensely in getting you on the right track to a happy, healthy tort. ;)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Agree with @jeff kushner, you got a tortoise and are caring for it based on how the petstores and "interwebs" told you, but when you come here you find out that's mostly wrong AND it makes you question if you can provide what s/he actually needs. it happens all the time, sadly. Please do read the care sheets and take the advice of the people here to avoid heartbreak for yourself and give you little one the best possible care. You've signed up for a wild ride, enjoy it !

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
My neighbor found a baby sulcata roaming around my neighborhood about 25 years ago. He knew that I kept reptiles and gave him to me. He has an igloo dog house with a kane heat mat installed in it. He is doing just fine with the freezing weather that we have had. I have to cover his house with a few blankets to help keep him warm though. It seems that we have had freezing temperatures the last few years in Texas. I wish you the best!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome in addition to the other thread linked above, this will also help you provide the correct living conditions your tort needs including temps, diet, substrate lamps etc
If you follow that your tort should thrive, forget the wrong advice you've read - there's a lot of old information still circulating online that could harm your tort.