Baby Tortoise Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Sorry to say, but my hatchling red foot tortoise died yesterday. I'm still uncertain as to why or what happened to him or her. Pictures and questions are posted in the species forum. Hoping forum members can point me in the right direction.

In the meantime, I was wondering what I can do with the body. Unfortunately, I live in a NYC apartment so burying it in the backyard is not an option for me. Simply putting it in the garbage seems a bit wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think the local vet would take it and dispose of it in a proper way?

Thanks for you help.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I work for a vet, well I am on materinty leave now, and people often brought in there deceased pets to be disposed of. We would send them to be cremated, and charge by weight. If the animal was very small, we often wouldn't charge anything at all. I would call a local vet, and see what they say.
I am very sorry for your loss....

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
THe vet will most likely charge you a fee.. you can put it in the freezer until you can find a place to bury him..
sorry.. hatchlings can be difficult and heartbreakers...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Never a good moment, when you read that any tortoise dies. I know you were trying hard to get him to make it. *hugs* If you don't like the thought of cremation, do any of your friends have a yard you could use. Or perhaps in some nearby park?

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I am so sorry for your loss :( I would contact your vet for options on cremation or which ever you decide.

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
i am very sorry - we have buried things in parks or nearby fields in the past x

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Sorry for your loss :( Dont give up on getting another one. Those babies are hard to care for if you dont know everything there is to know about them. Try to get one that is better started.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Im sorry, I know how you must feel. Its awful.:(
And about what to do with it...
When I was a kid, my house´s yard didnt have any soil. And I had red eared turtles. And I remember that my mom and I buried one or two that died in a big pot we had.
I remember she used to tell me that it was going to become into a beautiful flower.
after it was buried, she would put a seed without me noticing it.
And after a couple of days the little plant began to rasie, and I remembered that it felt so much better when the plants flower bloomed.
maybe You can try doing something like that, maybe you have a big enough plant in pot around where you can burry it deep enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

Take a ride over the week end to the forest and bury him there...Sorry that happened to you, hatchlings are VERY hard to raise and mostly should be left to experienced keepers. If you decide to try again, adopt an adult from a rescue. It would be easier and more fun for you...Russians have great outgoing personalities...just a suggestion

S

Scooter

When I was a kid, my house´s yard didnt have any soil. And I had red eared turtles. And I remember that my mom and I buried one or two that died in a big pot we had.
I remember she used to tell me that it was going to become into a beautiful flower.
And after a couple of days the little plant began to rasie, and I remembered that it felt so much better when the plants flower bloomed.

This is a great idea, and so thoughtful of your mom!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
armandoarturo said:
maybe You can try doing something like that, maybe you have a big enough plant in pot around where you can burry it deep enough.

Wow, what a good idea for little kids. I'm going to remember this for when I have kids of my own.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Scooter said:

This is a great idea, and so thoughtful of your mom!
what a great idea, what a great mom. So sorry for your loss.

tangale

5 Year Member
NYC
Thank you everyone. Probably not going to bury in a park, since I believe it's illegal here (or so I was told). I think I will go the vet option. Paying is not a problem. It's the least I can do.

No more little tortoises for me...will stick with larger guys/gals that I can handle better.

Status
Not open for further replies.