Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I know we've given you a lot to think about, but I'd like to give you some different advice.

I'm pretty sure your baby is too cold. You need a thermometer so you can be sure of the temperatures all over the floor of his habitat. Baby tortoises need to be at LEAST 80F degrees. Warmer than that is even better. I'm sorry, but a 40watt bulb just doesn't do it. You need at least a 100watt bulb. And if you cover the habitat the heat will spread out all over the habitat. Then you also need to keep him warm at night. So you need a night time heat source along with the day time heat source.

Your baby is very sick. You're going to have to warm him up very soon or he's going to die.

Bennie

Ok thanks. Do you think he would benefit from a heat mat or is that too much?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Bennie, Yvonne totally knows!
Yvonne, the first guess was that baby is cold. Thank you so much specifically saying what to do. Like changing that light bulb. And covering up the habitat! Bennie, time is of the essence with the getting the temps UP! : 0

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some babies do ok with a heat mat, and some don't. They sometimes don't realize that if they get too hot all they have to do is walk off the mat. Then they just sit there and either get burned, or cook. I never recommend a heat mat or pad for baby tortoises.

Bennie

Ok thankyou

He is burrowed in the substrate is that okay? Sorry for all the questions by the way

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It's okay if he is not too cold in there. Did you change the light bulb to 100? Hope so. Yvonne is a super expert, so we need to heed her suggestions, how do they say in the emergency room, "Stat." Baby needs warm, baby needs warm ...

Also, reminder ... temp gun ... or as Yvonne said, a thermometer so you can know for sure what temps the baby is getting. UP UP UP with the warmth. : )

Bennie

I just bought the closest thing to coco coir the store had, it's like organic peat free compost??

I am going to take him to the reptile store where the guy will have a look at him tomorrow, ill let you guys know what he says :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Let the reptile store know you have been discussing this with us. Maybe he can take a look at the suggestions. Also, ask him if he knows how the breeder kept the babies. If they are kept too dry early on, they do not develop like they should. Humidity is vital. Hot and humid - healthy and happy! Invite the tortoise person at the store to join TFO if you can, since this is a great resource for peeps in the business. Let us know how baby is ... we are on pins and needles hoping that the little one responds!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
was he eating and active at the store you got him at? they do hibernate.. maybe its sluggish due to that... you need to know more about it Before you got it.. if it was active, then its probably too cold and or shy..
what are you trying to feed it?

Bennie

Unfortuantly baby passed away this morning.. Can't believe it I'm so upset. We took him to the store where we got him and the guy said that these things happen and that he must of been ill before we bought him..and no one had any idea, we provided the right things for him but he was too ill. We didn't have him long but I can't believe he's gone.. They said they will get me a new and healthy one but I really will miss nev. I have to be more careful before getting them and make sure I know that there perfectly healthy but he was a Christmas present from my dad and my dad didnt know. Thankyou all for your kind help but I guess he was ill from the start, I took him to the store yesterday and they said bring him in tomorrow when the professionals here so he can help him and get him well, but I guess it was too late:(

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart is breaking for you . I am glad the store is taking responsibility and not making you feel guilty. This will give you time to set up your tortoise nursery getting everything like temps etc. perfect for when your new baby arrives.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Heart.Breaking. I am so sorry Bennie. Yvonne knew right away didn't she? She is spot on all the time. Bennie, people breed and some of them are not up to speed with the whole hot and humid necessity, so the babies get dry and their little inners do not develop. We have seen this a lot on this forum. And if the pet shop told you a 40 watt, they probably also did not keep this baby warm enough. Without warmth, their metabolic processes do not kick in. Sadly, you got this baby and it was probably already declining from breeder to pet shop and all the time in between with not good care. The good thing is that you found this forum and have lots of support and you can set up your habitat prior to a new baby coming, making sure all your temps and humidity are right on so baby can thrive. Again, so sad, so very sorry. : (

Bennie

Yeah she did, it's unfortunate that the baby was probably not healthy enough before but know the pet store is making sure that they get a baby healthy and happy as possible and they said maybe it might be like a year older so it's more stable healthy and stronger. I will set up my tortoise nursery perfect the new comer so he's happy and healthy and ofcourse use advice from everyone. I am so glad I joined as you all have given so much advice and so much support. Thankyou very much for that [WHITE SMILING FACE]