Baby tortoise sleeping a lot

AmyJayne

Location (City and/or State)
Caerphilly
Hi there! My little Albus is now 6 months old and he's doing great. He has been sleeping a lot during the day, I'm not overly concerned but wanted to check if this is normal. He has his days where he will roam his enclosure most of they day and then settle down for sleep around 5pm. But recently he's been sleeping more than being active. I soak him every morning before his breakfast, he will usual nap and lie under the lamp and then get up and roam around. But he's just sleeping most of the day now. Should I be worried?

Here's some cute photos I've snapped of him this week ??

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_111107.jpg
    IMG_20210110_111107.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210114_123031.jpg
    IMG_20210114_123031.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

Jackie-ytd

Nuneaton
How long have you had him? I had the same after a month of owning mine he started to slow down during the day slightly but after a week he was back again I just made sure humidity was high and his temp was at a constant during the day and down at night to show routine!

AmyJayne

Caerphilly
How long have you had him? I had the same after a month of owning mine he started to slow down during the day slightly but after a week he was back again I just made sure humidity was high and his temp was at a constant during the day and down at night to show routine!

I've had him since he was a month old, so I've had him a while. I put it down to the weather being in winter time now. I've changed to substrate a few times because I found that top soil was way too dry and dusty. I'm now using coco coir and mist it down every day to keep the humidity high, I read that the humidity should be from 40%-60%, but I've also read it should be higher so I don't know what to do for the best ? He's been like it for at least 3 days now, he's still eating and I've seen him drink whilst soaking so I'm not too concerned, I just wanted to be sure that he's OK!

AmyJayne

Caerphilly
What is his diet? What is that in the dish?

His diet is mainly weeds like dandelions, clover, plantain, lambs lettuce, flowers etc and sometimes the odd bit of kale and rocket. I have a dried weed mix so that if I'm running low on weeds etc because of the winter I mix that in with his food. The dish is a mix of dried flowers and Timothy hay, he likes to lay in there and nibble on the flowers sometimes ?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Can you post pictures of your entire setup? what are your temps in the enclosure? humidity should 60-80% if not higher. if they start slowing down it is usually because the temp is not right. give the caresheets a good read as well

AmyJayne

Caerphilly
Can you post pictures of your entire setup? what are your temps in the enclosure? humidity should 60-80% if not higher. if they start slowing down it is usually because the temp is not right. give the caresheets a good read as well

I definitely will tomorrow morning, along with the temps etc. I've used to same brand and watt of bulbs, I've never changed anything apart from substrate. Like I said he's usually pretty active and nosey in the day with few naps in between. He did stroll around today for a little while and climbing on his rocks which he loves but it didn't seem to last as long. I even soaked him again just to make sure he wasn't dehydrated and gave him a little bit of cucumber to make sure. Im forever worrying about this little guy, I worry that I'm doing something wrong ? He's still eating, pooping and peeing so I don't know whether I should be concerned, ahhh ?

AmyJayne

Caerphilly

Here is his set up, he has a little shaded hide house on the left, I've put some Timothy hay in there. He seems to be in a better mood today, he's been awake most of the day ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_112111.jpg
    IMG_20210115_112111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210115_112143.jpg
    IMG_20210115_112143.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
hey Y, Tom help...
You need to change some things, the Spiral bulb HAS to go ASAP. They cause eye damage and possibly blindness. Use a 65 watt incandescent bulb. Is that a CHE in the other socket? How do you create humidity in an open habitat?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The spiral bulbs have been shown to cause eye problems, so they are not recommended. They also don't put out much UVB, so aren't efficient at their main job.

The humidity is too low in your enclosure and your tortoise is already showing signs of pyramiding.

I would be surprised if the temperatures are at the correct levels in your enclosure, since it's open-topped and will fluctuate with the room temperature. All the info you need regarding the setup, lighting, humidity etc are all in the link from post #6.