Baby tortoise sleeping habits

EmmaE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hello!

I have a 4.5 month old dalmatian hermanns tortoise. she wakes up at around 10 am and sleeps around 2:30. I am not worried about her because she is still very young but just to check, what were your tortoises sleeping habits when they were young? and any suggestions to have her go to sleep later?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The only thing you can control is the timing of your lights. Use timers so the come on and go off automatically. The basking lamp must be on for 12-14 hours.

Double check the enclosure temperatures with a temperature gun type thermometer like this to make sure that things aren't getting too cool or too warm for your tort to bother.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487347888.023603.jpg

We've had Joe for over 45 years and he usually packs up for the night about 3pm unless the weather has been very hot... then he'll have dozed through the day and be active when it's cooler.

There's not much else you can do

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
thank you both! the lights always come on at 6:30 am and turn off at 8:30 pm (on a timer) an the basking area is around 93 degrees, the middle is around 75-80 degrees and the cool part of the tank is about 70-75 degrees but there is one cold corner which goes into the high 60's (she goes there sometimes). BUT i need to get a temperature gun thermometer because i just have regular thermometers and those aren't as accurate. also its always around 65 percent humidity. anyway thank you for all the help! and ill invest in a temperature gun