baby turtle not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, OH
So my baby Red Eared Slider isn't growing. I obtained 3 babies back in august and the other 2 have tripled in size. I keep all 3 of them in a 55 gallon tank with a basking spot with a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb. The water temp stays at 78 degrees and basking spot ranges from 100 to 105 degrees. The little guy is fearless and super active and eats great but hasn't grown AT ALL (he is about an inch when the others are almost 3). I feed them all separately in their own containers so I can monitor how much they eat. I decided its time to take him to the vet so I'm going to make an appointment after the holidays. I've never been to this vet before and I just kind of want to know what to expect. I was thinking maybe a tapeworm or other parasite. Anyone else have this problem? Could I treat this myself? Anything I should do before the vet visit? I also have a healthy 12 year old RES so I'm pretty sure the babies diet and environment is right. Sorry for the LONG thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Derek:

I'm sorry that I don't have any words of wisdom for you. You've already answered all my questions and I can't think of any other reason for not growing. Might be nothing wrong, just a small turtle. ???

turtletania

5 Year Member
as with Yvonne... I am not sure if I can add anything. I have 6 RES at the moment...from 12 months to 8 years. But never been concerned about growth.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a 2007 hatched Pastel RES that is a very slow grower,It looks like a 2009 hatchling. Other than the slow growth rate and a slight tilt when it floats and swims(the right side is always a little higher), everything else is normal. When I got it in 2007 it had trouble diving and floated lopsided, it was like it had a internal bubble on it's right side,It didn't grow any the first year but is growing now, floats almost level, and can dive as good as the rest of them. Never seen this before and have no idea what it caused it,but seems to be getting better. Len

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Some just grow slower than others - like people. As long as he's healthy, eating and active I wouldn't worry about it too much.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Hmm. Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for a couple more months before I take him to the vet.

LindaF

5 Year Member
I have the same problem with 3 EPT Babies. I was wondering why one appears just as healthy and active but is not growing. Someone told me he might be a male and the others are females. He certainly is the meanie of the tank.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
DerekS said:
Hmm. Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for a couple more months before I take him to the vet.

It's highly unlikely that a vet would offer any usable advice in this situation.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
does it get to bask as much as the others? Do they hog the spots or is it more skittish and scared off the basking spot more easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.